Courtney Walls, MPH
Courtney received her bachelor’s degree in Mathematics in 2006 from College of the Holy Cross where she was also a varsity pole vaulter on the women’s track and field team. She received her MPH with a concentration in biostatistics from Yale University in 2008. She worked as a Biostatistician at Boston Children’s Hospital for nearly 4 years in the Clinical Research Program. Her work was predominantly with the Department of Adolescent Medicine examining sexual risk behaviors in adolescents, racial and ethnic disparities in weight-related outcomes in adolescents, and cardiac function in adolescents with anorexia nervosa. Courtney is currently completing her doctoral thesis is entitled ‘Exposures across childhood and their relationship with weight and metabolic status.’ Her three papers are on physical activity and metabolic syndrome in adolescents, passive smoke exposure and obesity in early childhood, and gestational exposure to antibiotics in relation to size at birth.
Courtney’s research interests include pediatric obesity and associated risk factors as well as possible interventions.
- Richmond TK, Thurston I, Sonneville K, Milliren CE, Walls CE, Austin SB. Racial/ethnic differences in accuracy of body mass index reporting in a diverse cohort of young adults. Int J Obes (London). 2015 Mar; 39(3):546-548.
- Baer T, Milliren CE, Walls C, DiVasta AD. Clinical Variability in Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factor Screening and Management in Adolescent and Young Adult Women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2015 Oct; 28(5): 317-323.
- Shrier LA, Rhoads A, Burke P, Walls C, Blood EA. Real-time, contextual intervention using mobile technology to reduce marijuana use among youth: a pilot study. Addict Behav. 2014 Jan; 39(1): 173-180.
- Mehta CM, Walls C, Blood EA, Shrier LA. Association between affect, context, and sexual desire in depressed young women. J Sex Res. 2014; 51(5): 577-585.
- Richmond TK, Elliot MN, Franzini L, Kawachi I, Caughy MO, Gilliland MJ, Walls CE, Franklin FA, Lowry R, Banspach SW, Schuster MA. School programs and characteristics and their influence on student BMI: findings from healthy passages. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 13; 9(1): e83254.
- Richmond TK, Milliren CE, Walls CE, Kawachi I. School social capital and body mass index in the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. J Sch Health. 2014 Dec; 84(12): 759-768.
- Wang ML, Walls C, Peterson KE, Richmond TK, Spadano-Gasboro J, Greaney ML, Blood E, Mezgebu S, Austin SB. Dietary and physical activity factors related to eating disorder symptoms among middle-school youth. J Sch Health. 2013 Jan; 83(1): 14-20.
- Richmond TK, Spadano-Gasbarro JL, Walls CE, Austin SB, Greaney ML, Wang ML, Mezegebu S, Peterson KE. Middle school food environments and racial/ethnic differences in sugar-sweetened beverage consumption: findings from the Healthy Choices study. Prev Med. 2013 Nov; 57(5): 735-738.
- Bickham DS, Blood EA, Walls CE, Shrier LA, Rich M. Characteristics of screen media use associated with higher BMI in adolescents. Pediatrics. 2013 May; 131(5):935-941.
- Richmond TK, Walls CE, Subramanian SV. The association of adolescent socioeconomic position and adult height: variation across racial/ethnic groups. Econ Hum Biol. 2013 Mar; 11(2): 178-184.
- Austin SB, Richmond TK, Spadano-Gasbarro JL, Greaney ML, Blood EA, Walls C, Wang ML, Mezegebu S, Osganian SK, Peterson KE. The contribution of school environmental factors to individual and school variation in disordered weight control behaviors in a statewide sample of middle schools. Eat Disord. 2013; 21(2): 91-108.
- Sunner LE, Walls C, Blood EA, Mehta CM, Shrier LA. Feasibility and utility of momentary sampling of sex events in young couples. J Sex Res. 2013; 50(7): 688-696.
- Shrier LA, Walls C, Rhoads A, Blood EA. Individual and contextual predictors of severity of marijuana use events among young frequent users. Addict Behav. 2013 Jan; 38(1): 1448-1456.
- Shrier, LA, Feldman HA, Black SK, Walls C, Kendall AD, Lops C, Beardslee WR. Momentary Affective States Preceding Sexual Intercourse in Depressed Adolescents and Young Adults. Arch Sex Behav. 2012 Oct; 41(5): 1161-1171.
- Richmond TK, Austin SB, Walls CE, Subramanian SV. The association of BMI and externally-perceived attractiveness across race/ethnicity, gender, and time. J Adolesc Health. 2012 Jan; 50(1): 74-79. e2.
- Shrier, LA, Walls C, Lops C, Kendall AD, Blood EA. Substance use, sexual intercourse, and condom nonuse among depressed adolescents and young adults. J Adolesc Health. 2012 Mar; 50(3): 264-70.
- Gooding, HC, Walls CE, Richmond, TK. Food insecurity and increased BMI in young adult women. Obesity. 2012 Sep; 20(9):1896-1901.
- Richmond TK, Walls CE, Austin SB. Sexual orientation and bias in self-reported Body Mass Index. Obesity. 2012 Aug; 20(8):1703-1709.
- Shrier, LA, Walls, C, Kendall A, Blood EA. The Context of Desire to Use Marijuana: Momentary Assessment of Young People Who Frequently Use Marijuana. Psychol Addict Behav. 2012 Dec; 26(4): 821-829.
- Shrier LA, Walls C, Lops C, Feldman HA. Correlates of Incorrect Condom use Among Depressed Young Women: An Event-level Analysis. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2011 Feb; 24(1): 10-4.
- Richmond TK, Walls CE, Gooding H, Field A. Television viewing is not predictive of Body Mass Index in Black and Hispanic young adult females. Obesity. 2010 May; 18(5):1015-20.
- DiVasta AD, Walls CE, Feldman HA, Quach AE, Woods ER, Gordon CM, Alexander ME. Malnutrition and Hemodynamic Status in Adolescents Hospitalized for Anorexia Nervosa. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2010 Aug; 164(8):706-713.
- Applied Statistics in Clinical Trials II, Fall 2011
- Nutritional Epidemiology, Fall 2011
- Intermediate Epidemiology, Spring 2012
- Logistic Regression and Survival Analysis, Spring 2012
- Advanced Epidemiology, Fall 2012
- Design and Conduct of Cohort Studies, Fall 2012
- Design and Conduct of Case Control Studies, Fall 2012