Anna Modest, MPH
Entered BURPPE program September 2013
Anna graduated with her bachelor’s degree in Health: Science, Society and Policy from Brandeis University in 2008. From 2008 until mid-2011, she worked at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute as a Research Assistant in the pediatric oncology survivorship program, looking at long term psychological outcomes of pediatric cancer survivors. During her time at DFCI, Anna earned her MPH in Epidemiology from Boston University, graduating in 2011. Anna works at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, for the Program in Epidemiologic Research in the OB/GYN department, doing epidemiologic research on aspects of women’s health (pregnancy, reproductive and gynecologic health) and neonatal outcomes. She entered the doctoral program in the Fall of 2013. Her dissertation proposal “In vitro fertilization: investigating the risk of ischemic placental disease and novel methods for quantifying risk” is being developed. She will use data from two large birth hospitals in Boston on pregnancies conceived by IVF with and without donor eggs.
Anna’s primary research interests include pregnancy and neonatal outcomes. Her thesis title is, “In vitro fertilization: risk of ischemic placental disease and novel methods for quantifying success”.
- Merport A, Bober SL, Grose A, Recklitis CJ. Can the Distress Thermometer (DT) Identify Significant Psychological Distress in Long-Term Cancer Survivors?: A comparison with the Brief Symptom Inventory-18 (BSI-18). Supportive Care Cancer, 2012 Jan;20(1):195-8.
- Merport A, Recklitis CJ. Does the Brief Symptom Inventory-18 Case-Rule Apply in Survivors of Childhood Cancer?: Comparison with the Symptom Checklist-90. J Pediatr Psychol. 2012 Jul;37(6):650-9.
- Merport A, Lemon S, Nyambose J, Prout MN. The Use of Cancer Treatment Summaries and Care Plans Among Massachusetts Physicians. Supportive Care Cancer, 2012 Jul;20(7):1579-83.
- Rana S, Hacker MR, Modest AM, Salahuddin S, Lim KH, Verlohren S, Perschel FH, Karumanchi SA. Circulating Angiogenic Factors and Risk of Adverse Maternal and Perinatal Outcomes in Twin Pregnancies with Suspected Preeclampsia. Hypertension. 2012;60:451-458. PMC3432569.
- Adelowo AO, Hacker MR, Merport Modest A, Elkadry EA. Do symptoms of voiding dysfunction predict urinary retention? Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2012 Nov-Dec;18(6):344-7. PMC3512564.
- Adams SR, Hacker MR, Merport Modest A, Rosenblatt PL, Elkadry EA. Informed Consent for Sacrocolpopexy: Is counseling effective in achieving patient comprehension? Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2012 Nov-Dec;18(6):352-6. PMC3695398.
- Scott J, Averbach S, Modest AM, Hacker MR, Cornish S, Spencer D, Murphy M, Parmar P. An assessment of gender inequitable norms and gender-based violence in South Sudan: a community-based participatory research approach. Conflict and Health. 2013. 7:4. PMC3599371.
- Schnettler W, March M, Hacker MR, Modest AM, Rodriguez D. Impaired Sonographic Cervical Assessment after Voiding: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2013 April;121(4):798-804. PMC3710113.
- Nezhat C, Modest AM, King LP. The role of the robot in treating urinary tract endometriosis. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2013 Aug;25(4):308-11.
- Adelowo A, Hacker MR, Shapiro A, Merport Modest A, Elkadry EA. Botulinum Toxin Type A (BOTOX) for Refractory Myofascial Pelvic Pain. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg 2013;19: 288-292. PMC3757523.
- Averbach S, Hacker MR, Yiu T, Modest AM, Dimitrakoff J, Ricciotti HA. Mycoplasma genitalium and Preterm Delivery at an Urban Community Health Center. Int J Gynaecol Obstet, 2013 Oct;123(1):54-7. PMC3777417.
- March MI, Hacker MR, Parson AW, Modest AM, deVeciana M. The Effects of Umbilical Cord Milking in Extremely Preterm Infants: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Perinatol. 2013 Oct;33(10):763-7. PMC3916936.
- Chordas C, Manley P, Merport Modest A, Chen B, Liptak C, Recklitis CJ. Screening for Pain in a Cohort of Childhood Brain Tumor Survivors: Discordance Between Measures. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 2013 Sep-Oct;30(5):249-59.
- Hawkins LK, Schnettler WT, Modest AM, Hacker MR, Rodriguez D. Association of third-trimester abdominal circumference with provider-initiated preterm delivery. Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, 2014;27(12):1228-1231.
- Scott J, Averbach S, Modest AM, Hacker MR, Cornish S, Spencer D, Murphy M, Parmer P. An assessment of attitudes towards gender inequitable sexual and reproductive health norms in South Sudan: a community-based participatory research approach. Confl Health. 2013 Nov 9;7(1):24. PMC3826838.
- Cadish LA, Hacker MR, Merport Modest A, Rogers KJ, Dessie S, Elkadry EA. Characterization of pain after inside-out transobturator midurethral sling. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, 2014;20(2):99-103. PMC4451947
- Scott J, Hacker M, Averbach S, Modest A, Cornish S, Spencer D, Murphy M, Parmar P. Influences of sex, age, and education on attitudes toward gender inequitable norms and practices in South Sudan. Global Public Health. 2014 Aug;9(7):773-86.
- March MI, Gupta M, Modest AM, Wu L, Hacker MR, Martin CR, Rana S. Maternal risk factors for neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis. Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, 2014, Aug 27. [Epub ahead of print]. PMC4457698.
- Hur HC, Green I, Merport Modest A, Milad M, Huang E, Ricciotti H. Needs assessment for electrosurgery training of resident and faculty in obstetrics and gynecology. JSLS. 2014 Jul-Sep; 18(3). PMC415422.
- Shainker SA, Raghuraman N, Modest AM, Schnettler WT, Hacker MR, Ralston, SJ. The utility of midtrimester ultrasound assessment of the subcutaneous space in predicting cesarean would complications. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, 2015;28(15):1766-1769.
- Raghuraman N, March MI, Hacker MR, Modest AM, Wegner J, Narcisse R, Louis J, Scott J, Rana S. Adverse maternal and fetal outcomes and deaths related to preeclampsia and eclampsia in Haiti. Pregnancy Hypertension, 2014;4(4):279-286.
- Harvey LFB, Averbach S, Hacker MR, Modest AM, Scott J, Ricciotti HA. Self-collection of vaginal swabs for human papillomavirus screening among women in temporary residential programs. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2016;214(4):546-547.
- March MI, Modest AM, Ralston SJ, Hacker MR, Gupta M, Brown FM. The effect of adopting the IADPSG screening guidelines on the risk profile and outcomes of the gestational diabetes population. Journal Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, 2016;29(7):1141-1145.
- Dessie SG, Adams SR, Modest AM, Hacker MR, Elkadry EA. Symptoms and attitudes in an ethnically diverse population. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2016 Jan-Feb;22(1):37-42.
- Chory MK, Schnettler WT, March M, Hacker MR, Modest AM, Rodriquez D. ACES: Accurate Cervical Evaluation with Sonography. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, 2016 Jan;35(1):25-8.
- Dessie SG, Hacker MR, Apostolis C, Boundy EO, Modest AM, Jones SL, Rosenblatt PL. The effect of scopolamine patch use on post-operative voiding function after transobturator slings. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, 2016;22(3):136-139.
- Chang OH, Modest AM, King LP, Hur HC. Developing an objective structured assessment tool for laparoscopic suturing and intracorporeal knot tying. Journal of Surgical education, 2016 Mar-Apr;73(2):258-63.
- Dessie SG, Armstrong K, Modest AM, Hacker MR, Hota LS. The effect of vaginal estrogen on pessary use. International Urogynecology Journal, 2016 Mar 18. [Epub ahead of print].
- Hofler L, Modest AM, Dodge LE, Hacker MR, Haider S. A pilot study of uterine evacuation via vacuum aspiration with and without sharp curettage. Journal of Reproductive Medicine, 2015. In press.
- Shainker SA, Modest AM, Hacker MR, Ralston SJ. The effect of a routine cervical length screening program on antepartum management and birth outcomes. Journal of Perinatology Reports, 2016 Apr;6(2):e206-11.
- O’Brien K, Shainker SA, Modest AM, Spiel MH, Resetkova N, Shah N, Hacker MR. Cost analysis of following up incomplete low-risk fetal anatomy ultrasounds. Birth. 2017 Mar;44(1):35-40.
- Vadnais M, Hacker MR, Shah N, Jordan J, Modest AM, Siegel M, Golen T. Quality improvement initiatives lead to reduction in nulliparous term singleton vertex cesarean delivery rate. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. 2017 Feb;43(2):53-61.
- Adelowo AO, Hacker MR, Modest AM, Apostolis CA, Disciullo AJ, Hanaway KJ, Elkadry EE, Rosenblatt PL, Rogers KJ, Hota LS. The use of mechanical bowel prep in pelvic reconstructive surgery: A randomized trial. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, 2016. In press.
- Cadish LA, Hacker MR, Modest AM, Rogers KJ, Dessie S, Elkadry EA. Prospective evaluation of the association between body mass index and pain following transobturator midurethral sling. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2016. In press.
- Spiel M, Salahuddin S, Pernicone E, Zsengeller Z, Wang A, Modest AM, Karumanchi SA, Hecht JL. Placental soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase expression in small for gestational age infants and risk for adverse outcomes. Placenta, 2017 Apr;52:10-16.
- Phillips SJ, Hofler LG, Modest AM, Harvey LFB, Wu LH, Hacker MR. Continuation of copper and levonorgestrel intrauterine devices: a retrospective cohort study. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2017. Epub ahead of print.
- Alidina S, Hur HC, Berry WR, Molina G, Gunther G, Modest AM, Singer SJ. Narrative Feedback from OR Personnel about the Safety of their Surgical Practice Before and After a Surgical Safety Checklist Intervention. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 2017. In press.