St. Andrew’s Society Scholarship
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP
The St. Andrew’s Society of the State of New York has provided over 150 scholarships to promote cultural interchange and goodwill between Scotland and the United States since 1956. In recognition of the benefits of higher education, the Society provides significant funding for three Scottish graduate students to study in the United States and two American students of Scottish heritage to study in Scotland. A Saint Andrew’s Scholarship provides up to $35,000 to cover tuition and related expenses for one year of graduate study at any university in Scotland.
- U.S. citizen
- Senior undergraduate student
- Some Scottish descent
Candidates should possess the qualifications which will enable them to be good ambassadors for the United States while in Scotland. Preference will be given to candidates who have not previously studied in the United Kingdom. The basis for selection includes:
- Academic achievement
- Extracurricular activities
- Financial need
- Statement of personal objectives
The Saint Andrew’s Society Scholarship requires institutional nomination from BU. For consideration, we must receive the following materials at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, November 14, 2019. 12 noon EST.
- Completed St. Andrew’s Scholarship application form.
- Responses (in a single document) to the following two questions (each answer may be no longer than 200 words):
- Why do you wish to continue your education beyond the present year?
- Why do you wish to study in Scotland, and how will this study contribute to your overall goals?
- Resume (2 pages max)
- Two letters of recommendation. Writers should email letters directly to email@example.com by the November deadline. Signed letters on institutional letterhead should be addressed to the “St. Andrew’s Scholarship Nomination Committee.” Please note, BU’s nominee will need signed original letters by December 9th. (Please be sure to explain this to those writing on your behalf.)
- A brief statement describing your financial aid at BU and anticipated financial need for graduate study.
- Transcripts: For the initial campus review, unofficial transcripts are sufficient
- If available, a letter of affiliation/offer letter from the Scottish university. (As you are applying for the St. Andrew’s, you should also be applying to the Scottish university of your choice, being sure to meet the appropriate application deadline for the degree program proposed. Proof of application to the Scottish university and degree program of their choice will be required of all St. Andrew’s finalists.)