Established in 1902, the Rhodes Scholarship fully funds 2-3 years of graduate study at Oxford University in nearly any field. Scholars pursue taught or research-based degree programs and are chosen not only for their outstanding scholarly achievements, but for their character, commitment to others and to the common good, and for their potential for leadership in whatever domains their careers may lead. The Scholarship provides full tuition, a living stipend, and flights to and from Oxford.
RHODES SELECTION CRITERIA
- literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings
- U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents
- Citizens of one of the other Rhodes countries/regions: Australia, Bermuda, Canada, China, East Africa (Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan and Burundi), Germany, Global Rhodes (NEW), Hong Kong, India, Israel, Jamaica & the Commonwealth Caribbean, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Palestine, Singapore, Southern Africa (South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland), Syria, United Arab Emirates, West Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe).
- At least 18 but not yet 24 by October 1 of the year of application.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree before October 1 of the year that study at Oxford would commence.
- Minimum GPA of 3.7.
- Outstanding intellect, character, leadership potential, and commitment to service.
ENDORSEMENT APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Rhodes does not accept direct applications for the U.S. and Canadian Rhodes competitions; students must be endorsed by Boston University’s Provost Office. To apply for institutional endorsement:
- Complete the brief Intent to Apply questionnaire by July 1, 2020, 12 noon EST. This signals your serious interest in the opportunity and opens up our channels of communication and support.
- Submit your full Application for Institutional Endorsement by August 3, 2020, 12 noon EST.