From CapeNews.Net By ELIZABETH W. SAITO August 8, 2014 Forty years ago today, President Richard M.
Guidelines on Non-Interest Window and Branch Operations of Conventional Banks and Other Financial Institutions
(enacted in 2011)
The Guidelines on Non-Interest Widow an Branch Operations of Conventional Banks and Other Financial Institutions, issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), lay out guidelines to ensure that conventional financial institutions, including microfinance banks (MFBs), that offer certain non-interest financial services are Shariah compliant.
The Guidelines are organized as follows:
- Establishment of Non-Interest Windows/Branches
- Cross-Selling of Products/Services
- Establishment of Non-Interest Unit/Division/Department
- Shariah Review and Compliance Mechanism
- Execution of Service Level Agreements in Respect of Shared Services
- Separation of Records
- Publication of Financial Statements
- Prudential and Disclosure Requirements
- Conversion of Conventional Financial Institutions’ Non-Interest Windows/Branches
- Closure/Discontinuation of Non-Interest Window or Branch