Typography Primary Typeface
Whitney bridges the needs of editorial typography and public signage with a single design. Its compact forms and generous x-height use space efficiently, and its ample contours and open shapes make it clearly legible under any circumstances. It is the preferred University font for external print and Web communications and may be used in any marketing materials and documents, in conjunction with other fonts. Key features of Whitney are:
- Whitney was designed to work in crowded environments, so its shapes are especially space-efficient in text sizes.
- Whitney’s forms were shaped with both distance reading and material fabrication in mind.
- OpenType editions of Whitney contain H&FJ’s Latin-X® character set, covering more than 100 languages throughout the world—including all of Central Europe.
- Whether it’s enumerating the steps in a research project or marking key places on a map, a set of circled numbers comes in handy. The Whitney Index package includes these, premade, in 16 different styles.
- For tables and charts, each of Whitney’s styles offers a companion “Numeric” range that contains tabular figures and fractions.
Two of the 52 styles available for Whitney are represented below.
Getting the Fonts
Marketing & Communications has purchased 500 licences of the font package, Whitney Basic. The font is available only to Boston University employees directly involved in the creation of marketing and communication materials.