Voices of BTM XVIII: Samantha Noble

in Alums, Blog, Boston Theater Marathon XVIII, new plays, short plays
May 1st, 2016

Samantha_Noble

Tell us a little bit about your play.

It’s a story about a mother and a daughter, and the first drink they’ve shared together in a long time. It’s also about memory, what happens when what we rely on most begins to fail us, and who we want to be to our parents and to ourselves. And it’s a little bit about quantum mechanics.

What made you want to tell this story?

A combination of personal experiences kept bringing me back to the subject matter of the play, foremost among them a close relationship to some really extraordinary women. For a long time I wasn’t sure what the right words were to articulate the idea I kept coming back to. When the words finally happened, this play is what they became. I hope they’re the right ones.

What’s next for you as a playwright?

My thesis play for my MFA at BU, Franklin, (centered on Captain Sir John Franklin’s doomed expedition to find the Northwest Passage) is going to be part of the Kennedy Center’s MFA Playwright’s Workshop this July, and then a part of BPT’s upcoming season next spring.

Don’t miss A Drink—and 49 other amazing ten-minute plays—in Boston Theater Marathon XVIII on May 8! Tickets