Post-MS PhD Program
Students with a Master’s degree are required to take a total of 32 credits (structured courses plus research).
- BE 605: Molecular Bioengineering
- BE 606: Quantitative Physiology for Engineers
- BE 790: Biomedical Engineering Seminar
- BE 791: BME PhD Laboratory Rotation System
- BE 792: Literature Review
- Math Requirement from approved list
- BE 801 and BE 802 Teaching Practicums
- Two graduate-level electives (at least one BE)
- Research credits (minimum of 4)
Students may petition to count as many as three of these five courses from previous coursework, by showing that the previous courses were substantially equivalent to offerings from BU. Students who receive such credit can meet the overall requirement for 32 credits through research credits. In addition to credit requirements, each student must:
- successfully pass the oral qualifier exam
- successfully propose and defend an original body of dissertation work
Application and Deadlines
PhD candidates must complete an online application (http://www.bu.edu/eng/admissions/grad/apply/), provide GRE scores, two letters of reference, a resume, and a statement of purpose (essay). Applications are due by December 15th for both domestic and international students.
Any inquiries related to applications and/or receipt of supplemental application materials should be directed to the Graduate Programs Office via email or at (617) 353-9760.
For additional information about the PhD program, contact Christen Bailey (email@example.com).