CAS Transfer Credit Policy:
|Please review the CAS requirements for transferring credits.||Please check with your college and review their Bulletin page on transfer credit policies.|
Check for your Course
- Visit the BU transfer credit database to check for your local university and proposed course. (Prospective students: click here.)
- If your proposed course is listed, you will receive the stated course equivalency after you take these steps:
- Email your college (CAS students: firstname.lastname@example.org) that you plan to take a pre-approved transfer course.
- Successfully pass the course per college guidelines.
- Have the institution mail your official transcript to your college. CAS students mail to: CAS Advising at 100 Bay State Road, Room 401 Boston, MA 02215.
- If your course is not listed in the BU equivalency database, go to the Next Steps section below.
- Fill out the Transfer Course Equivalency Form.
- Obtain a full course syllabus* including the weekly lecture topics covered and textbook information. If the course has a lab, you must also submit a full lab syllabus including the weekly lab topics covered and lab manual information.
- Submit your transfer form and syllabus to the appropriate department (for Biology courses: drop off or email to Diana Hughes in the main Biology office located at 5 Cummington Mall, Room 101).
- When an evaluation has been made, you will be contacted. Please allow up to three weeks for this process.
- After successfully passing the course per college guidelines, have the institution mail your official transcript to your college. CAS students mail to: CAS Advising at 100 Bay State Road, Room 401 Boston, MA 02215.
* Submitting only a course description will NOT be sufficient for evaluation – a complete syllabus is needed. You may need to contact the instructor directly to obtain a copy of the full syllabus.
Study Abroad Credits
- To request BU study abroad biology courses be counted toward your major, use the Department Petition on the Biology Forms webpage. You must submit a full syllabus for each course (lecture and lab topics/schedule, textbook info., etc.).
- For study abroad programs outside BU, review the Transfer Credit Approval Process webpage for detailed instructions on how to transfer credits from your study abroad program.
Note: You will want to receive approval for study abroad courses before going abroad to confirm that your courses will count toward your major.
Transfer Credit Appeal
If you feel there has been a mistake in the evaluation of your transfer course, fill out the Transfer Credit Appeal Form. Submit the form and the course syllabus to the appropriate BU department.
Please note: Transfer course evaluations are carefully considered. Your appeal may be denied if the original evaluation is found to be accurate in regards to the course’s topics and level.