Major and Degree Requirements
Biology and biology specialization requirements are listed in the Bulletin. CAS requirements can also be found in the Bulletin. Two helpful planning documents are the advising worksheets housed on the Undergrad webpage and the upcoming semester’s Course Directory.
Are You Changing Your Major?
Changing Majors within CAS
If you have already filled out the Major/Minor Declaration form to switch majors, you should meet with an advisor in your new department to schedule classes. Your new department’s advisor can look up your code on the Link.
- Students who are considering a change should meet with their Biology advisor as well as an advisor in the department they are looking to transfer to. To receive your registration code, you need to bring a plan signed by an advisor in your new department to the main Biology office at 5 Cummington Mall, Room 101 during one of the drop-in hours listed on this page under “Registration Code Pickup Times.”
Speak with an advisor in your new college about the process for registration. If you still need an advising code from CAS, bring a plan signed by an advisor in your new department to the main Biology office at 5 Cummington Mall, Room 101 during one of the drop-in hours listed under “Registration Code Pickup Times.”
Current Freshmen Registration
Freshmen are REQUIRED to attend one of the Freshmen Advising Sessions in order to receive their unique 6-digit registration code.
At the meeting, freshmen will meet with their advisor Stacy Straaberg Finfrock and possibly a Biology faculty member to discuss their academic plans for sophomore year.
Mandatory Freshmen Advising Dates:
Tues. October 18 2:00-3:30pm (COM 101)
Wed. October 19 5:00-6:30pm (LSE B01)
Thurs. October 20 3:30-5:00pm (SCI 109)
At the end of freshmen year, students are assigned a Biology faculty advisor according to their declared major/specialization. Students are welcome to meet with a faculty member sooner and should email Stacy Straaberg Finfrock to make the arrangement.
Senior Advising Week is October 17-21
Junior Advising Week is October 24-28
Sophomore Advising Week is October 31-November 4
1. Use AdvisorTrac to sign up for an appointment with your faculty advisor during YOUR week (listed above). If your advisor does not have availability, please email him/her directly to set up a time to meet. If you do not have an advisor, email Diana Hughes.
The following Biology faculty are on sabbatical so you should meet with the secondary advisor assigned to you (check the Student Link):
- Dr. Buston
- Dr. Gardner
2. Meet with your advisor to discuss your course schedule. Have him/her sign your advising worksheet or Reg. form to approve your written plan for next semester. Tip: Come up with a rough course schedule before your advising appointment.
3. To get your registration code, bring your SIGNED advising worksheet/Reg. form to the main Biology office (5 Cummington Mall, Room 101) during the Registration Code Pickup Times listed on this webpage.
Tip: You do not need to make an appointment to pick up your registration code. You may view code pick up times under Registration Code Pickup Times. When you come to pick up your code, please feel free to discuss any other questions/concerns you may have with Stacy.
Registration Code Pickup Times
Bring your SIGNED schedule to the main Biology office at 5 Cummington Mall, Room 101 during one of the specific times outlined below.
NOTE: You do not need to make an appointment to pick up your registration code. When you come to pick up your code, please feel free to discuss any other questions/concerns you may have with Stacy.
Week of October 17
Wednesday, Oct. 19: 11:00am – 2:00pm
Thursday, Oct. 20: 9:30am – 11:30am
Friday, Oct. 21: 9:30am – 11:30am and 2:30pm – 4:30pm
Week of October 24
Monday, Oct. 24: 11:00am – 2:00pm
Tuesday, Oct. 25: 9:00am – 11:00am and 1:30pm – 3:00pm
Wednesday, Oct. 26: 9:30am – 11:30am
Thursday, Oct. 27: 11:00am – 1:00pm and 2:30pm – 4:30pm
Friday, Oct. 28: 9:30am – 12:30pm and 3:00pm – 5:00pm
Week of October 31
Monday, Oct. 31: 12:30pm – 3:30pm
Tuesday, Nov. 1: 11:30am – 2:30pm
Wednesday, Nov. 2: 10:30am – 1:30pm
Thursday, Nov. 3: 9:30am – 12:00pm and 2:30pm – 4:30pm
Friday, Nov. 4: 9:30am – 12:00pm and 3:00pm – 5:00pm
Study Abroad Registration
For students CURRENTLY abroad:
Follow these steps in order to receive your registration code:
1. Email your faculty advisor your course selection for the upcoming semester.
2. Obtain email confirmation of your course selection from your faculty advisor.
3. Forward Stacy Straaberg Finfrock the confirmation email.
Students who are participating in the Tropical Ecology Program, or any other program that will NOT have access to the Internet during the registration period, must complete the CAS Registration Planner Form and submit it to the Abroad office BEFORE their departure from Boston. The Registration Planner Form is designed to assist CAS students with preparation for course registration for their return to campus. Take a copy of your course schedule with you to your program site for reference during the registration period.
For students who are GOING abroad:
If you are planning to study abroad, you should still meet with your advisor to go over your plan for next semester and the semester you return to campus. It’s advised to have a backup plan of courses for next semester in case you do not end up going abroad.
Please review the full list of Abroad Registration instructions before your departure.