Undergraduate Advising and Registration
Students meet with faculty advisors to discuss:
- Course selection for the upcoming semester (to meet CAS and major requirements)
- Individual progress
- Research opportunities
- Study abroad opportunities
- Summer courses
Advising faculty can check their list of advisees via the Faculty Link.
Note: Students are assigned advisors by their major and specialization (or area of interest).
Important On Campus Resources:
- Caitlin Sleasman is the CAS liaison for the Biology major. Please feel free to email her with any advising questions!
- Final Exam Policies
- Regsitration Dates/Times
Fall/Spring Registration and Advising
UNDERGRADUATE REGISTRATION PERIODS
- Fall (October - November)
- Spring (March – April)
Before the registration period begins, you will receive a memo regarding the advising process. Faculty are expected to provide 8 hours of advsing for during the regsitration period. Faculty are also expected to provide 1 additional hour of advising during "Open Advising" or "Freshmen Advising."
- You will submit your availability to Portia. She will send you a memo with instructions on how and when to do so.
- If you need to make any changes to your advising availability after the submission deadline, please e-mail Portia so she can make the appropriate changes on AdvisorTrac.
AdvisorTrac is the online scheduling system students use to schedule advising appointments with faculty advisors during the registration period.
- Portia will input your hours into AdvisorTrac each semester, you do not need to do this yourself.
- The system automatically generates and sends an email (from email@example.com) to faculty at 5:00 the evening before with your full schedule of appointments for the next day.
- Students also receive a confirmation email.
- The system will NOT allow students to sign up for an appointment less than 24 hours in advance.
Please view the detailed instructions if you would like to access AdvisorTrac.
ADVISING DURING REGISTRATION PERIODS
1. Students set up an appointment with their faculty advisors via AdvisorTrac.
2. Faculty meet with students to discuss their course plan for the next semester and beyond. Together, faculty and students use the major guidlines (found below) to create/follow/adapt the student's 4-year plan.
3. Students fill out their registration form with the decided upon classes. Faculty must sign the form.
4. Send students to Michelle with a SIGNED form. Students can pick up registration codes during the appropriate week listed below.
Students are expected to bring the following to their advising appointment:
- Transcript Preview (available via the Student Link)
- Major/Specialization Guidelines
- Fall 2015 Course Directory
- Registration Form (Don’t forget to SIGN!!!)
Major and Specialization Guidelines:
Additional student records are available via the Faculty Link.
REG CODE PICK UP TIMES
Other Important Notes:
- For courses that require “stamped approval” or are “permission required,” students should e-mail the contact listed in the “Course Notes” or Michelle Sherman.
- The absolute deadline for students to apply for Undergraduate Research is the last “Add” day of each semester. Michelle will specify a deadline for students to submit the appropriate paperwork at least a week before the last "Add" day to ensure the applications are complete and have enough time to be reviewed and approved by the Director of Undergradate Studies.
- Deadlines for students applying for Honors Research:
- Honors in Biology applications must be submitted by the first week of classes during the Fall or Spring semester of the student's senior year. This will depend on the semester(s) the student will be participating in Honors Research and/or the Honors Seminar.
- Honors in BMB applications must be submitted by the first week of classes during the Fall semester of the student's senior year.