- Title Professor of Biology and Biochemistry; Director, Center for Network Systems Biology
- Education PhD, Molecular Genetics, University of Toronto, 1997
- Web Address http://www.emililab.org/
- Email email@example.com
- Area of Interest Systems biology, proteomics, functional genomics, bioinformatics, molecular interaction networks, high-throughput methods, development and disease
Charting the molecular networks of cells and tissues
My laboratory develops and applies advanced proteomic, molecular genetic, genomic and bioinformatic technologies to investigate the molecular associations and biological roles of the many varied macromolecules present in different cells, tissues and organisms. Our research team has outstanding skills in state-of-the-art protein mass spectrometry and other high-throughput techniques for investigating molecular interaction networks in a global systems-wide manner. Our group aims to generate comprehensive maps of the physical and functional “interactomes” of informative models, ranging from unicellular microbes like yeast or the bacterium E. coli to more complex metazoans such as worm, mouse and (increasingly) human. We expect these maps will lead to breakthrough mechanistic understanding of how cells and tissues function at a fundamental molecular level, and serve as valuable resources for the broader research community. Ultimately, we aim to translate this basic knowledge into novel diagnostic and therapeutic tools, with an emphasis on cancer, cardiovascular disease and neurodegenerative disorders.
- Wan C, Borgeson B, Phanse S, Tu F, Drew K, Clark G, Xiong X, Kagan O, Kwan J, Berzginov A, Chessman K, Pal S, Cromar G, Papoulas O, Ni Z, Boutz DR, Havugimana PC, Guo X, Malty RH, Sarov M, Greenblatt J, Babu M, Derry B, Tillier E, Wallingford JB, Parkinson J, Marcotte EM, Emili A (2015) Panorama of ancient metazoan macromolecular complexes. Nature 525: 339-344.
- Havugimana P, Hart G, Nepusz T, Yang H, Turinsky A, Li Z, Wang PI, Fong V, Phanse S, Babu M, Craig S, Hu P, Wan C, Vlasblom J, Dar V, Bezginov A, Clark G, Wu G, Wodak S, Tillier E, Paccanaro A, Marcotte E, Emili A (2012) A census of human soluble protein complexes. Cell 150: 1068-81.
- Babu M, Vlasblom J, Pu S, Guo X, Graham C, Bean BD, Burston HE, Vizeacoumar F, Snider J, Phanse S, Fong V, Tam Y, Davey M, Hnatshak O, Bajaj N, Chandran S, Punna T, Christopolous C, Wong V, Yu A, Zhong G, Li J, Stagljar I, Conibear E, Wodak S, Emili A*, Greenblatt J* (2012) Interaction landscape of membrane-protein complexes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nature 489: 585–589.
- Hu P, Janga S, Babu M, Díaz-Mejía J, Butland G, Yang W, Pogoutse O, Guo X, Phanse S, Wong P, Chandran S, Christopoulos C, Nazarians A, Nasseri N, Musso G, Ali M, Nazemof N, Golshani A, Paccanaro A, Greenblatt J, Moreno-Hagelsieb G, Emili A (2009) Global functional atlas of Escherichia coli encompassing previously uncharacterized proteins PLoS Biology vol 7(4): e96.
- Krogan N, Cagney G, Yu H, Zhong G, Guo X, Ignatchenko A, Li J, Pu S, Datta N, Tikuisis A, Punna T, Peregrin-Alvarez J, Shales M, Davey M, Paccanaro A, Bray JE, Sheung A, Beattie B, Richards D, Canadien V, Lalev A, Wong P, Starostine A, Canete M, Vlasblom J, Wu S, Orsi C, Collins S, Chandran S, Haw R, Rilstone J, Gandi K, Thompson N, Musso G, St Onge P, Ghanny S, Lam M, Butland G, Altaf-Ul A, Kanaya S, Shilatifard A, O’Shea E, Weissman JS, Ingles CJ, Hughes TR, Parkinson J, Gerstein M, Wodak SJ, Emili A*, Greenblatt JF* (2006) Global landscape of protein complexes in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae Nature 440: 637-43.
- Kislinger T, Cox B, Kannan A, Chung C, Hu P, Ignatchenko A, Scott MS, Gramolini AO, Morris Q, Hallett MT, Rossant J, Hughes TR, Frey B, Emili A (2006) Global survey of organ and organelle protein expression in mouse. Cell 125(1): 173-86.
- Butland JM, Peregrin-Alvarez J, Li W, Yang X, Yang V, Canadien A, Starostine D, Richards B, Beattie N, Krogan M, Davey J, Parkinson J, Greenblatt J, Emili A (2005) Interaction network containing conserved and essential protein complexes in Escherichia coli. Nature vol. 433: 531-7.
- Zhao R, Davey M, Hsu YC, Kaplanek P, Tong A, Parsons AB, Krogan N, Cagney G, Mai D, Greenblatt J, Boone C, Emili A*, Houry WA* (2005) Navigating the chaperone network: an integrative map of physical and genetic interactions mediated by the hsp90 chaperone. Cell 120(5): 715-27.