Associate Professor of Biology
I am broadly interested in ecosystem ecology and the influence that plant-microbial interactions have on nutrient cycling, retention and loss. I am particularly interested in the effects that human activities, such as fossil fuel combustion, introduction of non-native plant species, land use change and climate change, have on forest ecosystems. We currently examine a variety of nitrogen sources, including rain, fog, and anthropogenic nitrogen deposition. We explore how plant-microbial interactions influence nitrogen and carbon retention and loss within natural and managed ecosystems.
We currently work in temperate forests of the northeastern United States, redwood forests of California, and tropical forests of Puerto Rico and Mexico. We focus on three research themes: (1) the effects of winter climate change on forest biogeochemistry and carbon exchange; (2) controls on nitrogen retention and loss in temperate and tropical forest ecosystems, and (3) effects of land-use change and forest regeneration on nutrient cycling.
- BI 303 Ecology
- BI 306 Biology of Global Change
- BI 530 Forest Ecology
- Templer PH. (2013). Biogeochemistry: limits on carbon uptake by plants. Nature Climate Change 3:184-185.
- Templer PH, MC Mack, FS Chapin III, LM Christenson, JE Compton, HD Crook, WS Currie, C Curtis, B Dail, CM D’Antonio, BA Emmett, H Epstein, CL Goodale, P Gundersen, SE Hobbie, K Holland, DU Hooper, BA Hungate, S Lamontagne, KJ Nadelhoffer, CW Osenberg, SS Perakis, P Schleppi, J Schimel, IK Schmidt, M Sommerkorn, J Spoelstra, A Tietema, WW Wessel, and DR Zak. 2012. Sinks for nitrogen inputs in terrestrial ecosystems: a meta-analysis of enriched 15N field tracer studies. Ecology 93: 1816-1829.
- Reinmann A, Templer PH, Campbell JL. (2012). Severe soil frost reduces losses of carbon and nitrogen from the forest floor during simulated snowmelt: a laboratory experiment. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 44:65-74.
- Templer PH, McCann TM. (2010). Effects of the hemlock woolly adelgid on nitrogen losses from urban and rural northern forest ecosystems . Ecosystems 13:1215-1226.
- Templer PH, Silver WL, Pett-Ridge J, DeAngelis K, Firestone MK. (2008). Plant and Microbial Controls on Nitrogen Retention and Loss in a Humid Tropical Forest. Ecology 89: 3030-3040.
- Huygens D, Boeckx P, Templer P, Paulino L, Van Cleemput O, Oyarzun C, Godoy R. (2008). Mechanisms for the retention of bioavailable nitrogen in volcanic rainforest soils. Nature Geoscience 1: 543-548.
- Templer PH, Arthur MA, Lovett GM, Weathers K. (2007). Plant and soil natural abundance δ15N: Indicators of relative rates of nitrogen cycling in temperate forest ecosystems. Oecologia 153, 399-406.
- Dawson TE, Mambelli S, Plamboeck AH, Templer PH, Tu KP. (2002). Stable isotopes in plant ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33, 507-559.