BU’s BEST Partners
Propel Careers is a Boston based life sciences search and career development firm with the unique distinction of being dedicated to networking, mentoring and career development. Propel Careers was founded in 2009 to foster career development, entrepreneurship, and to cultivate leaders with an initial focus on the life sciences industry. Lauren Celano, co-founder and CEO, is a BU alumna and has dedicated time and effort to serve the trainees of her alma mater. Ms. Celano meets trainees two days per week to help identify and prepare them for job searches.
Established in 2001, the Massachusetts Biotechnology Education Foundation (MassBioEd) is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization committed to supporting STEM education focusing on biotechnology in Massachusetts through school programs, workforce training, and lifelong learning. MassBioEd facilitates dialogue between academia and industry to ensure that Massachusetts’ future workforce has the skills and experience required to fill the jobs of the future.
BU’s BEST Steering Committee
The Steering Committee guides operational and strategic decision-making for BU’s BEST. The steering committee provides administrative oversight and integrates all resources needed to make BU’s BEST impactful, transferable, and sustainable for Boston University biomedical trainees.
- Lauren Celano, M.B.A., Co-founder and CEO, Propel Careers, Boston, MA
- Deborah M. Fournier, Ph.D., M.S., Assistant Provost for Institutional Research and Evaluation, Director BU-CTSI Evaluation, Boston University School of Medicine
- Sarah Hokanson, Ph.D., Director, Professional Development & Postdoctoral Affairs, Boston University
- Kimberly A. McCall, Ph.D., Professor of Biology, Boston University
- M. Isabel Dominguez, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine
BU’s BEST Internal Advisory Committee
The Internal Advisory Committee guides strategic decision-making by assessing the overall effectiveness of ongoing and emerging opportunities that may arise during program implementation.
- Daniel Kleinman, Ph.D., Associate Provost for Graduate Affairs, Professor of Sociology, Boston University
- David Center, M.D., Professor of Pulmonary Medicine, Medicine, and Biochemistry; Chief of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine
- Sarah Mazzilli, Ph.D., Postdoc Representative, Boston University School of Medicine
- Alex Bloom, Doctoral Student Representative, Boston University
- David A. Harris, Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Department of Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine
- Sarah Hokanson, Ph.D., Program Director, Office of Professional Development and Postdoctoral Affairs
- Julie H. Sandell, Ph.D., Professor of Anatomy & Neurobiology, Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs, Office of the Provost, Boston University
- Tom Tullius, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Chemistry, Boston University
- Joyce Y. Wong, Ph.D., Professor of Bio-medical Engineering, Boston University
- Bennett Goldberg, Ph.D., Professor of Bio-medical Engineering and Physics, Director of Center for Nanoscience and Nanobiotechnology, Boston University
BU’s BEST External Advisory Committee
The External Advisory Committee helps steer the direction of BU’s BEST program by providing insight to program end users, those who represent the areas of the workforce that our trainees hope to enter.
- Jennifer Grodsky, Vice President, Federal Relations, Boston University
- Beth M. Hovey, Ph.D., Analyst, Decisions Resources Group, President, Massachusetts Chapter, Association for Women in Science
- Magdalena James-Pederson, Ph.D., Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Biology, Associate Professor of Biochemistry, Stonehill College
- Kathleen M. Williams, Ph.D., J.D. , Partner, Sunstein Law, Boston, MA
- Peter Abair, Executive Director, MassBioEd Foundation, Cambridge, MA
- Daniel J. Pomeroy, Ph.D., Program Manager, International Policy Lab, Center for International Studies, MIT, Cambridge, MA
- Dominic Yee, Ph.D., J.D., Associate at Lando & Anastasi, LLP, Cambridge, MA