BU’s BEST Leadership Team
BU’s BEST Staff
M. Isabel Dominguez, Ph.D.
Executive Director of Professional Development
Dr. Dominguez is responsible for implementing BU’s BEST EXPERIENCE program. EXPERIENCE includes intern- and extern-ships as well as shadowing experiences for BU trainees, allowing them to gain tangible skills for future career roles. If you are part of a company looking for a Ph.D. trained intern, please contact her.
Dr. Dominguez earned her Ph.D. from Universidad Autonoma de Madrid in Madrid, Spain prior to completing postdoctoral work at Harvard Medical School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
BU BEST Intern
Amanda is responsible for implementing BU’s BEST EXPERIENCE program. She acts as a liaison between students and the BEST program. Amanda is available for one-on-one coaching on biotech workforce trends: to help analyze where jobs you are interested in are located nationally as well as determine what hard and soft skills needed for your position of interest.
Amanda is a current Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics at Boston University interested in pursuing a career in professional development. She received her bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry from the University of Vermont.
BU’s BEST PIs
BU’s BEST employs a multi-PI leadership team with each PI bringing unique talents and perspectives to the table.
Linda E. Hyman, Ph.D.
Associate Provost, Division of Graduate Medical Sciences
Professor of Microbiology
Dr. Hyman is responsible for the administrative elements of the program including managing the budget, serving as the point of contact for the NIH, supervising support personnel, and representing the program to stakeholders outside of BU’s BEST program. Dr. Hyman earned her undergraduate degree at the State University of New York at Albany, followed by a master’s and doctoral degree at Brandeis University. She also completed a post-doctoral fellowship at Tufts University School of Medicine. She began her professional career at Tulane University School of Medicine, where she became a tenured associate professor in 2003. Dr. Hyman assumed the position of Associate Provost for the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences in 2009.
Barbara M. Schreiber, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Director of Graduate Studies
Dr. Schreiber serves as the contact for all curricular activities, coordinates all efforts on the development of software with Burning Glass Technologies, and aides in managing and coordinating all workshops and seminars. A longtime member of the Boston University School of Medicine, Dr. Schreiber is well positioned to serve as the face of the alumni mentoring network. Dr. Schreiber earned her bachelor’s degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo in Buffalo, NY followed by her doctorate at Boston University in the department of Microbiology.
BU’s BEST Steering Committee
The Steering Committee guides operational and strategic decision-making for BU’s BEST. The steering committee provides administrative oversight and integrates all resources needed to make BU’s BEST impactful, transferable, and sustainable for Boston University biomedical trainees.
- Lauren Celano, M.B.A., Co-founder and CEO, Propel Careers, Boston, MA
- Deborah M. Fournier, Ph.D., M.S., Assistant Provost for Institutional Research and Evaluation, Director BU-CTSI Evaluation, Boston University School of Medicine
- Sarah Hokanson, Ph.D., Director, Professional Development & Postdoctoral Affairs, Boston University
- Farrah A. Belizaire, M.S., Manager of Diversity and Inclusion, Boston University School of Medicine
- Kimberly A. McCall, Ph.D., Professor of Biology, Boston University
- M. Isabel Dominguez, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine
BU’s BEST Internal Advisory Committee
The Internal Advisory Committee guides strategic decision-making by assessing the overall effectiveness of ongoing and emerging opportunities that may arise during program implementation.
- Daniel Kleinman, Ph.D., Associate Provost for Graduate Affairs, Professor of Sociology, Boston University
- David Center, M.D., Professor of Pulmonary Medicine, Medicine, and Biochemistry; Chief of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine
- Sarah Mazzilli, Ph.D., Postdoc Representative, Boston University School of Medicine
- Alex Bloom, Doctoral Student Representative, Boston University
- David A. Harris, Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Department of Biochemistry, Boston University School of Medicine
- Sarah Hokanson, Ph.D., Program Director, Office of Professional Development and Postdoctoral Affairs
- Julie H. Sandell, Ph.D., Professor of Anatomy & Neurobiology, Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs, Office of the Provost, Boston University
- Tom Tullius, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Chemistry, Boston University
- Joyce Y. Wong, Ph.D., Professor of Bio-medical Engineering, Boston University
- Bennett Goldberg, Ph.D., Professor of Bio-medical Engineering and Physics, Director of Center for Nanoscience and Nanobiotechnology, Boston University
BU’s BEST External Advisory Committee
The External Advisory Committee helps steer the direction of BU’s BEST program by providing insight to program end users, those who represent the areas of the workforce that our trainees hope to enter.
- Jennifer Grodsky, Vice President, Federal Relations, Boston University
- Beth M. Hovey, Ph.D., Analyst, Decisions Resources Group, President, Massachusetts Chapter, Association for Women in Science
- Magdalena James-Pederson, Ph.D., Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Biology, Associate Professor of Biochemistry, Stonehill College
- Kathleen M. Williams, Ph.D., J.D. , Partner, Sunstein Law, Boston, MA
- Peter Abair, Executive Director, MassBioEd Foundation, Cambridge, MA
- Daniel J. Pomeroy, Ph.D., Program Manager, International Policy Lab, Center for International Studies, MIT, Cambridge, MA
- Dominic Yee, Ph.D., J.D., Associate at Jones Day, Boston, MA