Scarlet Band 2013
The Scarlet Band is a select group representing the best of what the Boston University Bands program has to offer. In the summer of 2006, the ensemble was formed to promote awareness of the BU Bands program to incoming students during New Student Orientation events, as well as to serve as the “soundtrack” for Orientation. The ensemble’s mission has evolved to include performances at various university events and functions in addition to its duties with the BU Bands program during the summer. Players represent a diverse cross-section of the performing ensembles available to students at the university including Marching Band, Pep Band, Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, Big Band, Honors Combo, Symphony Orchestra, and All-Campus Orchestra.
Becoming a Member
Membership in the Scarlet Band is by audition. Members rehearse once a week throughout the summer and perform at three Orientation events per week. Members are granted free housing on campus for the summer. Auditions typically take place prior to Spring Break – please contact Aaron Goldberg if interested in auditioning. email@example.com
The Boston University “Scarlet Band” will be holding auditions during the next two weeks. The Scarlet Band is a select ensemble that performs music from a variety of genres on campus throughout the summer at New Student Orientations. There is one rehearsal and 3 short gigs per week…the rest of your week is completely free to take classes, work, or sleep. Salary for the summer is free housing on campus (typically in the brownstones of South Campus). The ensemble is open to any student who will be enrolled in classes at BU in the Fall of 2014.
Auditions are simple, and will occur throughout the next two weeks (see “Audition Info” below).
- Alto Sax
- Tenor Sax
- Bari Sax
- French horn/Mellophone
- Electric Guitar
- Bass Guitar
- Drum Set & Auxiliary Percussion
- Members of the Scarlet Band can receive FREE housing on South campus for the entire summer
- Members can work or attend classes around the manageable ensemble schedule
- There is one rehearsal and three short gigs per week
- Free dinner is provided at the Thursday evening performances
- There are two weeks completely free of commitment at the beginning of the summer and the month of August is free as well
- The Scarlet Band plays a vast array of musical styles, and is held to a high musical performance standard
- There are also a few cool performance opportunities for the ensemble off-campus around Boston
Check-out the June & July Rehearsal and Performance Calendar:
- All musicians are required to sight-read a short except provided to you
- Wind musicians – please prepare two short excerpts in contrasting styles (one technical, one lyrical)
- Guitar, bass, and keyboard – please demonstrate a short excerpt in each of the following styles: rock, jazz, latin, and funk
- Percussion – on drum set, please demonstrate a short excerpt in each of the following styles: rock, jazz, latin, and funk (You can showcase any additional auxiliary percussion skills if you wish)
- Tues 2/26: 3-5pm, CFA basement office B05
- Wed 2/27: 12-5pm, BU Band Room, 300 Babcock St.
- Thurs 2/28: 1-4pm, CFA basement office B05
- Fri 3/1: 1-6pm, BU Band Room, 300 Babcock St.
- Tues 3/5: 3-10pm, CFA basement office B05
- Wed 3/6: 12-10pm, BU Band Room, 300 Babcock St.
- Thurs 3/7: 1-6pm, CFA basement office B05
To Reserve an Audition Time:
Audition slots are 10-minutes each. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request your preferred day/location and 10-minute time slot. You will then receive a confirmation email, or if your requested time is unavailable, you will receive a list of other times from which to choose.
The preliminary ensemble roster will be emailed to all who audition on the first day of Spring Break - Saturday, March 9th.
**** Please email email@example.com to reserve your audition time, and let us know if you have any questions!