Applications for Language Enhancement Study
The Apps for Language Enhancement Study (AppLES) explored whether mobile apps for tablets can increase language in minimally verbal children and adolescents with autism. Although, there has been an explosion in the number of mobile apps developed for children, including those with autism, at present there have been no large scale studies investigating whether apps lead to significant changes in language. We wanted to evaluate the effects that educational apps have on spoken language, and to develop language outcome measures that will be made available for future interventions research on autism.
- Children and adolescents with a confirmed diagnosis of autism
- Ages 5 – 17 years old
- English is primary language spoken in the home
What did participants do?
- Participants completed several play-based assessments, including spoken language, at their school and in their homes.
- Parents completed questionnaires about their child’s development.
- Participants played with the assigned app for 12 weeks in their homes under their parents’ guidance.
- Language was assessed again after the 12-week intervention was complete.
Stay tuned to see what we discovered! So far, we are still analyzing the data.