Harris Grant Application Information and Guidelines
ASOR expects to award $3,000 to $4,000 in 2014 to support ASOR-affiliated field projects. The application deadline is January 15, 2014. We hope to announce the successful applications by March 15, 2014.
The Harris Endowment provides modest grants to worthy field projects that are CAP-affiliated, particularly to newer and smaller projects, to help them get started; and to discrete components of larger projects that can be completed with an award. The Endowment also provides support for off-season research, analysis, and publications. Most grants fall into the range of $500-$1,500.
If you have any questions, please email Britta Abeln.
1. Applications are restricted to directors of ASOR/CAP-affiliated projects or senior staff members of affiliated projects. Applications by staff members other than the director must be accompanied by a letter of endorsement from the project director.
2. No more than two applications from a single project will be considered in any given year. In most cases, no project will receive more than one grant in a single year. Awards are usually not made to the same individual or project in successive years.
4. Funds will be made available from the ASOR office, and recipients may receive a Form 1099 for the funds received.
5. Please note that the Harris committee has broadened the selection criteria (for 2014 only) to include excavation projects that are not currently affiliated but plan to seek CAP affiliation. Non-affiliated may apply if they meet either of the following two criteria:
- The excavation project is in its first season of excavation, that director(s) plan to apply for CAP affiliation in 2014.
- The excavation project is in the planning stage and/or in the process of applying for a site or survey license. The director(s) plans to use the Harris grant money for the planing phase and intends to apply for CAP affiliation as soon as feasible.