skip navigation

 

The American Schools of Oriental Research
Board of Trustees Meeting
May 1, 2004 - Boston, MA
Minutes

PRESENT: P.E. MacAllister, Chairman of the Board, Lawrence T. Geraty, President, Jim Strange, Secretary, Joe D. Seger, Doug Clark, Executive Director, Oded Borowski, Eric H. Cline for CAMP, Sidnie W. Crawford for AIAR, David Detrich for CAARI, Nan Frederick, Larry Herr for COP, Martha Sharp Joukowsky, Vice President, Ann Killebrew, Burton MacDonald for CAP, Jodi Magness, Eric Meyers, Beth Alpert Nakhai, Austin Ritterspach, David Rosenstein, B.W. Ruffner for Finance, Richard J. Scheuer, Life Trustee, Lydie Shufro, Stuart Swiny, Randall Younker, Holly Andrews, Staff, Selma Omerefendic, Staff, Billie Collins, Publications Office.

ABSENT: Loren Basch, Elizabeth Bloch-Smith, Mark Chavalas, Ernest Frerichs, Edward Gilbert, Timothy Harrison, Oystein LaBianca, Martha Risser, Tammi Schneider, Susan Sheridan, Jane C. Waldbaum, 

VISITORS: Richard E. Ballou, Sy Gitin, Artemis Joukowsky.

 1. Call to Order by P.E. MacAllister 8:30am.

2. Approval of the Minutes of the November Board of Trustees Meeting. Corrections: item 19 fails to mention that the Chairman of CAP and Joe D. Seger are on the Executive Committee. The Minutes were approved as amended.

3. No chairman's report

4. Larry Geraty, the President's Report:  It has been suggested that we communicate better with the membership, so Larry Geraty and Douglas Clark will provide an electronic newsletter beginning this month on the ASOR listserve.  It will not replace the current Newsletter. Our top priority in our previous minutes was to inspire an academic agenda. We are progressing in that agenda item, as are the three research centers. We spoke of an Implementation Committee for the Feasibility Study, but we have put it off until more funding is available. Our second priority is to bring our financial situation under control.  Thanks to B.W. Ruffner, the staff in Boston, and several Trustees, we are moving in the right direction. We know that we need $115,000 between now and the end of June to stay in the black. We have $110,000 already committed. The Board last year approved a number of new Trustee slots.  Larry Geraty has been contacting and cultivating our nominations.  He called attention to the Board Worksheet, which gives Trustees opportunity to make suggestions for possible new Trustees. One recent contact has offered to pay Larry Geraty's expenses to travel around the US to meet with suggested individuals as potential donors and Trustees. We have talked about the need for a Director of Development, which we will discuss later. "At the last meeting sixteen Trustees contributed to help subsidize the first three years of that project."  The efficiency of the operation would be enhanced with the iMIS software system, which is already installed in the Atlanta office.  If someone feels moved, they may wish to donate this funds for that software. There will be no formal CAP tour because of the political situation, and because many will be in the Middle East at various times already.  Burton MacDonald will be in the ME this summer, so he will visit digs as possible.

   There will be several actions to take before the end of the day. 1) Support for the pottery volume that Sy Gitin is editing in Jerusalem.  2) Vote on the Director of Development documents. 3) Acceptance of the Leon Levy bequest. 4) Authorization to appoint a Membership Committee.

5. Report of Executive Director Douglas Clark—Doug thanked staff and others for making his transition smooth. He hopes to expand the vitality that is ASOR; it is an organization of considerable energy and talent. He wishes to keep ASOR relevant. He has tried to think in terms of ASOR's structure and ethos.  He hopes to find ways to increase participation among ASOR members. He suggests as a model what we already have in the Annual Meeting, namely, a policy that governs participation as section chairs etc. Perhaps that model will work for the committee participation.

   Doug reminded the Board that the ASOR sources of income are individual and institutional memberships, the Annual Fund, board development, foundations, donations, bequests, investment income, registrations and subscriptions.

  News items: October is Archaeology Month in Massachusetts.  ASOR, AIA, the International Center for East Asian Archaeology, and the Dept. of Archaeology at Boston University will cooperate on a month of lectures, open houses, and a symposium.

  We have ended our contract with Julene Miller and Academy International Travel Services for site selection for the Annual Meeting.  Julene has helped secure sites through the 2006 meeting in Washington, DC.  We will use Conferon, Inc. (who currently represent SBL) for the 2007 Annual Meeting in San Diego. Holly and Doug will travel to San Diego in June to perform site inspections.

  The Publications Office has used iMIS for 1½ years and has discovered how useful it is.  We want Boston on use the same software so that both offices can look at the same real time data. A module with a development package is available for about $6,000. The introductory model total is about $10,000.

     The letter appealing for archaeology books for the University of Babil has gone out.  Bethany Walker has a grant to ship books to Baghdad. Their entire library was sacked.  

     There was discussion of ASOR’s relationship with SBL in the light of the split between AAR and SBL. No action was taken.

6. David Rosenstein for the Development Committee—Since the November Board Meeting, when the Board voted to begin working on hiring a Development Director, much work has gone on. Doug Clark and Dick Ballou (Visitor), retired Development Director for Brown U., have worked out what it will take to implement a very good development operation. Doug Clark continued by explaining that Dick Ballou has made visits to the office when he has been in Boston and has offered great advice, drawing from his own experience. Doug reminded the Board of the ASOR Mission Statement. We have educational and outreach goals, and we think about the public. ASOR support comes from an informed part of the public.

   Doug spoke of developing a "Case Statement" aimed at the public, which will tell them who we are and what we stand for. He suggested three options, a) a statement focused on protection and preservation of human cultural heritage, b) raising public awareness of the Middle East for greater understanding of the region's history and diverse cultures, and c) internationalizing excavation experience etc.

     Doug shared a short job description for a Development Director. ASOR has filed with BU a long job description. He shared the Search Process from his letter to the Board of Trustees of April 16, 2004.  He proposed we suggest names for the Search Committee.

     Discussion of the Case Statement. It was proposed that in its operations abroad, ASOR should not violate human rights legislation that binds all of us in this country (equal opportunity legislation). There was also discussion of the idea of informing the public about the seriousness of the looting of archaeological sites. It was pointed out that the job description as distributed does not contain accountability. The explanation is that the full job description does contain accountability structures and measures.

Be it RESOLVED THAT ASOR adopt four actions proposed by Douglas Clark, namely, the approval of a job description for the Director of Development, for the Development Director Budget, and for the search process as presented in Dr. Clark's report, with the additions that the board may make for continued refinement of the concepts going forward. This is a motion and a second from the Executive Committee. PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

7. Sy Gitin for AIAR—Sy reported the most successful program of any year.  There have been 85 workshops, lectures, seminars, etc. The Hostel is booked for 14 months. Highlights of the program Dothan Endowed Lectureships, J. Airman lectured on Mycenaean archaeology in Greece. The Director of Archaeology in Gaza gave a lecture on recent archaeology in Gaza to a packed house. The Campaign to establish an archaeological library in Gaza has resulted in four hundred volumes from the Albright. AIAR has instituted two new Kress fellowships at $50,000 each. AIAR will offer $250,000 in fellowships next year.  Many excavations have not taken place, but this summer there are five, in addition to groups of Americans participating in Israeli expeditions. The Tel Miqne publication project is going well. The Ancient Pottery of Israel and Its Neighbors will be partially in press in 2005. The New Library Computer program called Liberty 3 allows Hebrew and Arabic titles. A $200,000 grant for the Scheuer collection. There will be a special conference at the AIAR June 1, 2004 by two fellows on archaeological perspectives on pastoralism. Larry Steger will give the Schweich Lectures at the British Society next year.  There will be a special Schweich Lecture Tour by the Albright in October.

8. Artemis Joukowsky for ACOR--Altogether ACOR will have 35-40 fellows next year.  To accommodate them ACOR is constructing a fifth floor with a grant. It will be finished this fall. The budget is about $600,000 per year now and growing. But Pierre and Patricia Bikai will retire in about 1½ years, which will be a great loss. Jim Wiseman of Boston University will chair the search committee.

9. David Detrich for CAARI—The Republic of Cyprus has entered into the European Union. The Turkish part of Cyprus has voted for the reunification plan of the UN, but the Greek portion has voted no, and no one knows what this portends for archaeology. There is also uncertainty about the Director of the Dept of Antiquities. There is much work to do in terms of the CAARI library and archives and their location.

10. B.W. Ruffner for the Treasurer's Report—B.W. commented that the profit and loss statement is very valuable in many ways, but a summary report in Excel® format is easier to read and understand. This is very useful in the form distributed, namely, a comparison of this years' first three quarters compared to the previous year.  He called for suggestions about lines to add or lines to omit.

    Doug led a discussion of the Budget to show that nearly $200,000 of the annual budget relies upon donations of all kinds. It was pointed out that institutional members need to be shown how memberships benefit students and faculty. Answer: students from institutions that are members get discounts at the Annual Meeting.  It is also true that scholarships are made available to send students to the Annual Meeting. 

BE IT RESOLVED that ASOR authorize the officers to appoint a Membership Committee after receiving suggestions from the Trustees. This comes as a motion and a second from the Executive Committee. This is to advocate for individual and institutional members. PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

B.W. indicated that we have folded nine accounts into five.  The Harris Fund stood independently so that the interest could be used for Fellowships.  Several such accounts were united.  The Opportunity Fund stood alone.  Temporarily Restricted accounts were for monies indicated for specific purposes, such as Qarqur, Dead Sea, etc.  There were three endowment accounts.  All these were folded into a single account of about $300,000. The Investment Committee, chaired by Ed Gilbert, was the obvious entity to keep track of investments. The decision was made to split into two pots, one to be supervised by Smith Barney.  Austin Ritterspach and Ed Gilbert supervised the other. In the last quarter the Smith Barney portion earned about 2%.  Austin and Ed earned about 3%.  The publications Committee asked that they take their own money out of Smith Barney and manage it through the Investment Committee.

11. Randy Younker for the Nominations Committee: The Committee brings the names to bring to the Board, namely, David Rosenstein and Loren Basch.

election: David Rosenstein and Loren Basch were RE-elected to the Board of Trustees (CLASS OF 2007) UNANIMOUSLY.

12. Larry Herr for Publications.  The new series under the General Editorship of Wm. Dever includes Buccellati, Stuart Swiny, and Martha Joukowsky. COP is looking for capitalization funds for this series.

Billie Jean Collins reported we are participating in Journal Storage (JSTOR), which will put our journals on line electronically at their expense. The Petra issue of NEA was published March of 2004. Three more will be out before the end of the fiscal year. BASOR and JCS are in good shape. BASOR 333 appeared in April of 2004. AASOR 58 appeared in March of 2004. There was discussion of putting color into BASOR and other enhancements. The Office of Publications hopes to institute institutional subscriptions to BASOR and individual subscriptions to NEA. In the progress of business Chris in the Publications Office discovered irregularities in the Academic Services accounts. Our lawyer and Chris are dealing with this in hopes of reclaiming the loss.

Larry Herr indicates that moving membership services in-house has been very helpful. The distributed sheets that show the dreams of COP have minimal numbers in terms of dollars required.  COP hopes that the book series will become best sellers.  Jim Weinstein has noted that Israelis are the main contributors to BASOR, with fewer contributions from North America and Europe. There are two requests for color plates in BASOR (Mycenaean pottery), which cost $1,400 each. BASOR could upgrade to better paper and more pages. PE commented that COP is to be commended for operating in the black.

13. Burt MacDonald for CAP:  Burt suggested that the new chair should not take office until Jan 1 because of catch-up work with the previous chair. Several Harris grants have been given out since the last Board meeting. He will be in Petra in May and at the Albright in June for the conference on pastoralism. He and Doug will go to CAARI on the 26th of June for their annual workshop. Many projects do not start until late, so Burt will not stay to visit the late starters.  He will visit any project in Jordan and Israel when he is there. There may be only a few projects in Cyprus. It may not be possible to visit Syria. The Basch report recommends revitalization of CAP, so these visits this summer should contribute to this aim.  Burt asked if we wish to develop a Trustee tour, but no action was taken. If members of ASOR would like to receive the IAA newsletter in English, that can be arranged. Eric Meyers has asked about the publication of unprovenanced cuneiform tablets, which question will go before CAP.

14. Eric Cline for CAMP (report distributed)—There is so much demand for offering papers that we could support five sections rather than four sections. We are now in the 80th percentile rate for acceptances. The Lecture Series Committee has been active, as has the Outreach Education Committee. There is a proposal to increase honors and awards. There was a comment that it would be helpful if one or two sections were starred and the local media were contacted.  There are no registration statistics yet for the next meeting.

15. B.W Ruffner for a line of credit.

Be it RESOLVED THAT the Board of Trustees authorizes the Executive Director to establish a line of credit up to $50,000 and that we require that the line of credit be paid down every year so that it can be used again, if necessary.   This comes as a motion and a second from the Executive Committee. PASSED with one opposing vote by Ann Killebrew.

16. New Business: It was suggested that we move the date of the meeting one-week later or earlier because of conflicts with graduation at various universities. The suggestion was taken under advisement by the Executive Director.

17. The Chairman brought forward motions from the Executive Committee:

"BE IT RESOLVED that ASOR accept the Leon Levy bequest of $150,000 and that in conformance with the restriction of the Executors, the money be divided evenly between the three overseas centers and used for the enhancement of their library collections.  Larry Geraty moved, Larry Herr seconded.  PASSED UNANIMOUSLY."

BE IT RESOLVED that ASOR endorse in principle ASOR's involvement in the pottery volume that Sy Gitin is editing and empower the leadership of ASOR to negotiate with IES and the Albright. This comes as a motion and a second from the Executive Committee. It was asked whether we might realize residuals. That is possible. PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

It was suggested that, if someone is elected to positions such as the chair of CAP, the person take office immediately. Joe Seger suggests that we give them the franchise, but not exclude the previous person.  There will be two votes in that case. No action was taken.

18. Adjournment 12:10 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

James F. Strange, Secretary