skip navigation


The American Schools of Oriental Research
Board of Trustees Meeting
November 24, 2002 - Toronto, ON, Canada


PRESENT: Lawrence T. Geraty, President, PE. MacAllister, Chairman of the Board, Oded Borowski, Mark W. Chavalas, Edward Gilbert, Larry Herr for COP, Douglas Clark for CAMP, Eric H. Cline, David Detrich (CAARI), Tim Harrison, Martha Sharp Joukowsky, Vice-President, Øystein S. LaBianca (ACOR), Edward Lugenbeal, Treasurer, P. Kyle McCarter, David McCreery, Beth Nakhai, Austin Ritterspach, Martha Risser, B.W. Ruffner, Bruce Routledge, Richard Scheuer, Tammi Schneider, Joe D. Seger, Lydie Shufro, John Spencer, James F. Strange, Secretary, Randy Younker, Rudy Dornemann, Executive Director, Billie Jean Collins, Director of Publications, Holly Andrews, Assistant Director, Selma Omerefendic, Staff.

ABSENT: Sidnie White Crawford, Nan Frederick, Norma Kershaw, Gerald Vincent, James F. Ross, Robert D. Miller, Jodi Magness,  Stuart Swiny, Eric Meyers, Kent Bermingham

VISITORS: Richard L. Zettler, David Rosenstein

1. CTO by P.E. MacAllister, Chairman of the Board at 8:06 am.

2. Martha Joukowsky moved to approve the Minutes. They were accepted as distributed.

3. Chairman MacAllister had no report.

4. Committee on Publications: Larry Herr announced that, although NEA has not appeared lately, several issues are ready. COP has adopted a new book series for the level of the undergraduate student.  Each book dedicated to the archaeology of a country.  A Steering Committee is working on the editorial policy, Series Editor, and so on.  COP hopes to bring out the first volumes in a couple of years.  COP may ask some of those present to help.

Billie Jean Collins reported two items.  (1) We have six titles scheduled to appear this year.  The Aphrodite title is out and two Annuals.  In June the first of three volumes should be out.  Last year we sold $48,000 worth of books for the whole year.  This year in the first quarter we have sold $21,000 so this is a stellar year. (2) Fulfillment: We are on course with changing our membership management to an in-house procedure. There should be no disruption. The bottom line for 2002 is a slight deficit of about $8,000. The move to accrual accounting should give us the clearest picture yet of the data.

Larry Herr adds that our books are selling well because we have broken into the European market via David Brown Booksellers. We do not know how difficult the move to our new software system will be.  We should be able to renew all subscriptions online.  We have also established some enjoyable travel tours of the eastern Mediterranean, and brochures are available detailing these. Larry commented that it is also a way for participants to contribute to ASOR.  After several cultivation events we now have a mailing list of those interested in ASOR.  These are exactly those whom we should contact.  Larry announced that JoAnn Hackett and Stewart Swiny are joining COP.  Nancy Serwint edits the Annual.  Joe Greene edits the Archaeological Reports.  Jim Weinstein continues as editor of BASOR, as Ted Lewis continues for NEA.

BE IT RESOLVED THAT ASOR adopt the COP Guidelines as an addendum to the Policies and Procedures Manual. This was a motion and second of a standing committee. PASSED unanimously.

5. AIAR by John Spencer: John said that this has been a difficult year for the Albright.  Nevertheless there is a degree of normalcy and activity.  The staff has been extremely loyal and appear when they can.  There is a full complement of Fellows.  The Fellows visited CAARI and Galilee.  The Dothan Lecture will be given by Dorothea Arnold.  The bibliography of Albright appointees has been re-issued.  These are signs of vitality, and the Albright has taken up the role of an oasis in the current difficulties. This is the one place where Palestinians and Israelis can get together.  There is a tour scheduled for this spring, and AIAR will be sending out further information.  A Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit will visit Chicago and Grand Rapids. The fellowship list for 2002-2003 was distributed.

6. ACOR by Sten LaBianca: The situation for the Center is remarkably robust. The Fellowship Program is vital and successful.  Over the past ten years there have been more than 300 fellows.  The library is considered second best in Jordan for archaeology. ACOR continues to aid field projects, and many continue to operate. The Embassy has issued a requirement that only essential workers remain in the Embassy, which suggests that there is still a threat to Americans. There is more security in the ACOR neighborhood. The publications work of ACOR has been a success over the past several years, with over $500,000 in sales in that period. The Government has turned to ACOR for the recovery of records of Bethany. The Embassy has donated furniture to ACOR.  A conference for a week in Petra is in the works, which will be a fundraiser.

7. CAARI by David Detrich: There is an agreement on terms with a candidate for Director.  CAARI is not yet ready to name a name. CAARI has entered into a salvage operation at the location of a new parliament building.  The time period seems to be extending to end of December.  It may be extended again.  There is a major development with a letter of understanding from the United States to Cyprus about antiquities and the their import into the USA.  The important part of the agreement beyond importing is an article whereby the Cypriots are to protect and develop their antiquities program. There is a possible resolution of the Cyprus conflict on the horizon. It will come to a vote on March 30, 2003.  If it is approved, the details will have to be negotiated. This will be a major step forward.  The Department of Antiquities goes with the Federated part of the government, not with the Greek part or the Turkish part. David thanked the Committee on Publications for the continuing publication of works on Cyprus.  There will be three books in one year devoted to Cyprus.

8. Baghdad Committee by Richard Zettler: A Fellowship notice has been posted on the web page.  The Nies bequest subvents the Journal of Cuneiform Studies.  There is interest in resurrecting the American Association for Research in Baghdad, as the political system may change. If this is reactivated, then we will need to define the relationship of ASOR to the new entity.

9. Damascus Report by Rudy Dornemann reporting for Michael Fuller.  There are many archaeological projects in Syria, including Tell Mozan, Tell Asaqrni, Tell Elan etc.

10. Saudi Arabia Initiative: David Graf’s report was given by Rudy Dornemann (distributed). David made a ten day trip to Saudi Arabia to the Hijaz sponsored by the Ministry and Antiquities Museums. Dr. Sa’ad al-Rashid was invited to lecture at the Annual Meeting and accepted. From January to April of 2003 David will be in Saudi Arabia to assess archeological sites and to develop a future program for projects.  A question was raised about the status of women on ASOR excavations in Saudi Arabia, should it come to that.  Martha Joukowsky indicated that this is all under negotiation.

11. Nomination Committee Report by Randy Younker.  In the matter of election to the 

ASOR Board of Trustees:

   Institutional slots: Jodi Magness, Randy Younker, and Ann Killebrew
   Individual slate: Øystein LaBianca, Susan Sheridan, Liz Bloch-Smith

Nominations Committee

   Institutional slate: Joe Seger
Individual slate: Beth Alpert Nakhai

Agenda Committee:

   Institutional slate: Bethany Walker
Individual slate: Gary Christopherson

The Nominating Committee would like to work more closely with the Torch Campaign committee in pursuing new Board members.

12. Search Committee Report by Joe Seger: Joe distributed a job description for the Executive Director. At the end of the calendar year Rudy will retire as Executive Director.

RESOLVED to adopt new job description. Moved by Joe D. Seger, seconded by Martha Joukowsky. PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.

Joe reported that, in meeting this week with chairs and directors, the chairs and directors suggested a traveling lecture tour for directors with logistical support from Boston.  Joe has asked Martha Joukowsky as Vice President to help. He asked the Board members to send him possible candidates for the Executive Director position.  He hopes to give a good report by the spring Board meeting.

13. Report from President by Larry Geraty: Larry expressed sincere appreciation for the opportunity of service the Board has given him.  This summer he visited all the overseas centers and the various Departments of Antiquities. He plans to get better acquainted with Trustees. Larry announced the composition of the Search Committee: Larry Geraty will chair plus PE MacAllister, Joe Seger, Nan Frederick, Ed Gilbert, and two others not yet contacted.  He stressed that this slate reflects a balance of gender, geographical areas, and interests represented.  They have a list of 12 names of potential candidates for Executive Director.  He will continue work with the development efforts. We need to retain and develop new Institutional Members.  He is working with Joe on that.  He thanked Douglas Clark for the Annual Meeting program, which this year attracted 650 registrants. An ad hoc group met this past Wednesday to talk about ASOR's ability to cross borders and regions.  They came up with a process, which will affect the deliberations of CAMP’s Program Committee for next year.  This is a process to thinking intentionally about teamwork in certain areas. The subject is preserving antiquities and the ethics of this issue. He needs the counsel and suggestions of the Board. 

14. Treasurer’s Report by Edward Lugenbeal:  Ed reported that the portfolio only decreased 1.6%. We have been in Money Market funds as the market went up for eight weeks.  We are 86% MM funds at the moment.  Another silver lining is our success in changing over to an accrual accounting system. Wwe are about to complete the second audit on an accrual basis.  Ed has reviewed those statements in detail with the Executive Committee. The challenge is that we have been tracking internally our budget on a non-accrual basis. It shows that we have a positive bottom line of $3,500 including a loss in publications.  But this report is not accrual based, and it is not exactly the same as the audited statements.  Those statements show a loss on the order of $269,000. But in the world of accounting both these numbers can be correct. The loss is a loss of organizational assets. In 2002 we wrote off  $155,000 of pledges not fulfilled. The audited statements for non-profits show unrestricted funds, temporarily restricted funds, and permanently funds.  There is a separate income statement for each of these. Since we transferred from category to category, we then show income in one column and loss in another. The irony is that as we catch up in publications, we reduce deficits but may put more pressure on cash flow.  We need unrestricted funds.  For the first quarter for this year, our financial statements show a positive balance of $3,000-4,000.  The institutional dues are coming in very fast and at a higher figure, so far $62,000 on a cash basis.  On the accrual basis we recognize $25,000 per quarter. There was discussion about fulfilling one’s pledge obligation, but staff does send out reminders. As to why the write-off exists, Rudy explained it was that the Torch campaign had too many categories, and the “Torch Operations” category caused the main problem.  We need to know how much we owe this year, not just that we are behind.  Larry Herr suggested that the software package publications recently purchased has the capacity to engage in these reminders to those who have pledged. We drew from the endowment to meet obligations. We will complete our transition to accrual system if we bring the budgeting to an accrual system as well in 2004.

15. Development Committee by Austin Ritterspach: Austin reported that he will follow up on pledges.  We are at a transition point where we now reach out to those outside ASOR for support.  We have had cultivation events, for example associated with the Executive Committee meeting in Riverside, CA.  They have been helpful for us, but have not raised much money.  We now turn to those cultivated for support.  On the other hand we continue addressing ASOR members themselves. Austin suggests that we designate the Torch contributions as “unrestricted.” Larry Geraty mentioned recruiting new Board members, by which he means recruiting from the wider community of those who can support us. Austin has two prospects himself, and has been working the conference to contact ASOR members to support the campaign.  Austin suggests that we all think of the tours as a possibility for ourselves, not just for others.  He mentioned planned giving as an additional possibility for growth.

16. CAP by David McCreery—CAP’s basic mission is to encourage and promote fieldwork and publications and high standards of fieldwork and publications.  David distributed the list of Current CAP members and the list of ASOR Affiliated Projects 2002-2003.  At the Annual Meeting CAP reviews all proposals for affiliation with ASOR. All applications are now submitted via the ASOR web site. CAP approved 66 projects in Tunisia, Cyprus, Israel, Turkey, West Bank, Jordan, and Syria. There was a question about getting more short reports on what we are doing published in NEA.  A one-page report in this vein might appear in CAP. David agreed. Martha Joukowsky pointed out that she gives a 600 word report to the AJA every year.  If NEA publishes such a report, it may be appropriate to talk to AJA about who may publish this, as there is a cost involved, especially if photographs appear.  Such a report may resemble IEJ “Notes and News” or may feature an artifact. David says he and Larry Herr will work on this. David points out a Statement on Iraq on the back of the Report.

BE IT RESOLVED, that the “Statement on Iraq” be adopted by the Board of Trustees, as a motion and second from the CAP.  There was some discussion in CAP that human suffering is missing from the statement. Many institutions have issued statements about the people of Iraq. Strange MOVED TO AMEND the letter that transmits our perhaps positive statement can contain a statement deploring human suffering. The amendment was seconded. Discussion: We should look at the statement we issued during the Gulf War. It was objected that the writing of the paragraph would put a load on David that he should not have to bear, and besides, the letter would end up on someone’s desk and not effect the Statement.  THE AMENDMENT FAILED. THE ORIGINAL, UNAMENDED MOTION CARRIED.

CAP is planning a CAP trip summer of 2003 to visit the centers and any digs in the field.  June 15 to July 15. David invites all interested Board Members.

17. CAMP by Doug Clark: Doug reported that he is particularly pleased with the Annual Meeting in terms of quantity and quality. He noted that the Executive Committee voted to expand PR for the Annual Meeting, namely directing that CAMP and COP and a professional PR person get together to think about PR for the Annual Meeting and other projects of ASOR. CAMP is thinking next year of holding a teacher’s workshop and public lecture before the Annual Meeting.  This affects Outreach Education and the Lecture Series. Doug reported that now eleven regional meetings have a formal ASOR presence. It was interjected that the Honors and Awards Committee is very interested in receiving nominations from the Trustees and membership. There was discussion about a proper time for Honors and Awards announcements.  There was some discussion about the proper time for the Board Meeting. A straw vote between Saturday night and Sunday morning for the Board meeting indicated that Saturday night won handily. It was suggested at the Executive Committee Meeting that we meet in the spring rather than November.  CAMP will discuss that possibility, but we are tied to hotel contracts for November dates for the next two years. Another discussion ensued about the possibility that ASOR make contributions to regional meetings of small amounts. Doug indicated that he will ask for a budget increase for this purpose.

18. Executive Director’s Report by Rudolph Dornemann: His report was distributed by mail before the meeting.  Rudy points out that he will retire at the end of this year.  He thanks the Boston staff for all their work on all the activities of ASOR including the Annual Meeting.

19. Call for Old Business or New Business.  There was a discussion of honors and awards. Graduate students who have given good papers should be encouraged to enter their papers for the Sean Dever Award. There was a suggestion that there are not enough awards at the Annual Meeting.  Can we give the Sean Dever award at the Annual Meeting next year? But that award is to be given on the birthday of Sean Dever in March.  Sten LaBianca asked for nominations in the award area now.

The next Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Friday, Feb 7, 2003 in Washington, D.C.  The Board Meeting is scheduled for Fri-Sun, May 2-4, 2003 in Boston.

20. Move to Adjourn.  So ordered at 10:33 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,

James F. Strange, Secretary