The Center for the Study of Asia congratulates BUCSA Visiting Researcher Grant...
Why Study Asia?
If you want to understand the world, you need to understand Asia.
— Nicholas D. Kristof, New York Times.
Consider these facts:
- 57% of the worlds’s population lives in Asia.
- Major religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, and Daoism all originated in Asia.
- Asian economies represent approximately 1/3 of the World Gross National Product.
- More than 80% of the $154 billion U.S. global trade deficit is with Asian countries.
- Asian civilizations and American concerns are intertwined through history, commerce, politics, religion, and culture.
- Currently, the second and the third biggest economies are in Asia.
- Immigrants from Asian countries are the fastest growing group in the US today.
- Three of the four most populated countries of the world are in Asia: China, India, and Indonesia.