A New Study Abroad Opportunity in Pakistan
We are extremely proud to announce that after a 5 year hiatus the Berkeley-AIPS Urdu Language Program in Pakistan’s (BULPIP-AIPS) is back. Jointly administered by the America Institute of Pakistan Studies (AIPS) and the Center for South Asia Studies (CSAS) at the University of California at Berkeley, the program will be based in Lahore with language instruction offered at the Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) campus. This will be an intensive language program that will provide daily classroom instruction, five days a week. Classes will be small and individual tutorials will be provided. There will be regular assignments outside of class and special emphasis will be placed on connecting with the local speech community as well as self-management of learning. Participants will need to take part in all program events, such as attending films, plays and other cultural activities and will be expected to devote all their energies to activities that will increase their competence in all areas of language skills, such as speaking, listening, reading, and writing.The program will award annual fellowships to
- ten US-based students to spend approximately fifteen-weeks to study Urdu through an intensive Urdu language immersion program based at Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) in Pakistan and
- two to three US-based internships, for Pakistan-based Urdu teachers, focused on teaching Urdu as a second language.
Fellowships:Fellowships will cover the following expenses:
- Round trip economy class airfare to Lahore, Pakistan on a US carrier
- Visa fee for Pakistan
- Admission, tuition, and hostel fees for LUMS
- Travel & Emergency Evacuation Insurance coverage of upto $500 for the duration of the program
- A monthly maintenance allowance
- All excursions and activities that fall within the program
- All applications received by the closing date of5pm PST, February 14, 2014, will be considered
- Skype interview of short listed candidates:March 3 – 7, 2014
- Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application by5pm PST, March 14, 2014
- Pre-departure Orientation: Summer 2014 (dates to be decided)
- Program Dates:August 21, 2014 through December 5, 2014 (fifteen weeks)
- Graduate students and scholars/faculty who are both affiliated with an institution of higher learning in the US and are US citizens or permanent residents of the US
- Applicants must demonstrate intermediate level expertise in Urdu before starting the program.
- Each applicant must provide two letters of recommendation: one attesting to the applicant’s Urdu language preparation and the other to the applicant’s academic preparedness for the program.
- Ability to participate in the BULPIP-AIPS Program is contingent upon an applicant’s ability to receive a visa for Pakistan.
- Applicants must be in good mental and physical health.
- Short listed candidates will be required to participate in a Skype interview with the selection committee
- All qualified students, regardless of race, sex, color, creed, age, handicap, or sexual orientation are welcome
- Note: Please check for detailed eligibility requirements at Berkeley-AIPS Urdu Language Program in Pakistan, 2014-15
Fee: All applicants must pay a non-refundable $50 application fee to cover processing expenses. Mail checks to:
To apply, click here.
For questions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org