The Center for Jain Studies at Claremont Lincoln University invites you to study Jain Dharma at the International School for Jain Studies (ISJS) in India this summer. Faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students with an academic background, or strong interest, in the Indic traditions are encouraged to apply for this heavily subsidize immersion experience.
Prospects have the choice of applying to one of two fellowship programs:
The 6-week program (June 1-July 15): This fellowship program is designed to meet the needs of scholars and students with some background in South Asian or Religious Studies. Students can earn 6 graduate semester credits for completing this program. Up to 20 fellows will be admitted into the six-week program.
- Eligibility: You must be a graduate student or a faculty member at the start of the six-week program to be considered for admission.
- Cost: $700 tuition [includes round-trip airfare, room and board (with three Jain-friendly meals per day), travel costs in India, and course materials]; approximately $100 in Visa fees; and personal expenses. All participants will be required to provide their own health insurance for the duration of the program. All full-time faculty will receive a $1,000 stipend to help defray costs in India.
- Statement of Purpose: The best graduate student statement of purpose for the six-week program will be awarded $300 to help defray costs inIndia. The 2nd best statement will be awarded a stipend of $200.
The 4-week program (June 1-June 30): This fellowship program offers an ideal introduction to India, the Dharma traditions, and Jainism. In four weeks, students will acquire proficiency in Jain Studies, and be prepared to undertake more advanced research in the future. Students can earn 3 graduate or undergraduate semester credits for completing this program. Up to 20 fellows will be admitted into the four-week program.
- Eligibility: You must be a senior undergraduate student, or a graduate student, at the start of the four-week program to be considered for admission.
- Cost: $600 tuition [includes room and board (with three Jain-friendly meals per day), and travel costs in India]; approximately $1600 for roundtrip airfare; approximately $100 for visa fees; and personal expenses. All students will be required to provide their own health insurance for the duration of the program.
To apply, please submit an Application Form, 2 letters of recommendation, and a 1,000-word personal statement (explaining why you are interested in studying Jain dharma, and your past academic training relevant to the Indic traditions), to: Lidiya Potapenko, Program Director, email@example.com
Consideration of applications will begin January 15, 2013. The final application deadline is February 10, 2013 (at midnight PST). All candidates will be notified of their admission status via email by end of February 2013.