The New England Philharmonic is an award-winning Boston-based volunteer symphony orchestra, currently approaching its 43rd season. Its mission is to foster the composition and the appreciation of contemporary classical music by performing commissions and recent works alongside traditional repertoire in concerts that engage and electrify audiences.
Work with an engaged Board, committed players, Music Director Richard Pittman, Composer-in-Residence Eric Nathan, and Composer Laureate Bernard Hoffer
General Manager’s duties:
- Work closely with the Music Director, President of the Board, Board members, and Composer in Residence to support the artistic vision and mission of the orchestra
- Work with Board, Music Director, and consultants to support marketing, public relations, audience development, and fund raising initiatives and strategies
- Produce subscription series of 4 concerts per year in Boston and other venues
- Execute and administer contracts with guest artists, consultants, collaborating organizations, rehearsal and performance venues, and vendors
- Work with Treasurer to plan and monitor budget, process income and expenses in QuickBooks, and prepare financial reports
- Maintain patron records and manage box office in Patron Manager
- Prepare a variety of reports for Board meetings
- Plan and coordinate rehearsals, orchestra auditions, special events, and programs including the Call for Scores and Young Artist competitions
- Supervise personnel manager, stage manager, and librarian
- Manage volunteers and interns
- Assist in grant preparation
- Assist in social media program
- Provide required reporting to government entities and foundations
Hours and schedule:
- Approximately 20 hours per week, fluctuates according to performance schedule
- Attendance at most Sunday evening rehearsals in Brookline, September through April
- Attendance at weekend morning dress rehearsals and weekend concerts (typically 4/year)
- Regular attendance at Board meetings (typically weekday evenings)
- Excellent organizational skills, with ability to juggle multiple tasks and set priorities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, analytical ability, and customer service sensitivity.
- Proficiency with basic computer applications, and willingness to learn Patron Manager software and QuickBooks; experience with websites, social media, databases, and ticketing software desirable.
- Access to phone and to computer with high-speed internet connection.
- Prior experience with performing arts organizations and background in music preferred. Experience working with volunteers a plus.
August 15, 2019
Image Credit: Richard Pittman, NEP, 2018 Photographer: Robert Pittman