- Camp dates are June 24 to August 16, Monday through Friday, with overnight campouts every Thursday. Orientation runs June 17 to June 21 (including a Thursday overnight) and strike is on August 17 (both are mandatory). We work late on Three Fridays for Festivals: July 19, August 9 and August 16. Traveling Troupe runs until August 10; Commedia Troupe runs until August 23.
- TPE is in residence at The Madeira School in McLean, VA. Transportation is provided from DC-metro area (space permitting). Staff housing is not included or provided by TPE.
- TPE provides training in First Aid, CPR, low ropes safety, Leave No Trace practices and CDL.
- See individual position descriptions below for details.
- TPE can supervise your work for internship or college credit.
TPE has a transportation system and performance tours, so some positions will require the employee to acquire a commercial driver’s license (CDL). Training for CDL is provided.
*Compensation for CDL drivers will increase pay by $150-225/week*
All applicants are eligible (above the age of 21).
1. Camp Director (1 opening): works closely with the Founder/Producing Artistic Director to plan, implement, and manage our vibrant summer camp. Primary duties include:
- Scheduling and coordinating (performance tours, festivals, classes);
- Communicating and maintaining relationships with parents;
- Managing transportation system (oversee bus maintenance, daily route schedule). Traveling Players owns six school buses used for daily pick-up and drop-off routes during summer camp as well as touring and other activities;
- Bus driving. Candidate must have or be willing to obtain a CDL (commercial driver’s license) for back-up driving responsibilities. We provide CDL training!
- Supervising summer staff (assisting in hiring, training, orientation, communication);
- Building and maintaining relationships (with partnering organizations, students, families, touring venues);
- Assisting with interviewing and processing scholarship applications.
Ideal candidate will have (or will be studying for) an MA in Arts Management, 1-2 years experience in camp management, and the following skills and characteristics:
- Highly organized, energetic, able to multi-task, prioritize, initiate, and collaborate;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Relish working outdoors;
- Clean driving record and reliable vehicle;
- Optimistic spirit, good sense of humor, flexible and creative problem-solver and ability to maintain a level head in crisis situations;
- Bonus points for: knowledge of diesel mechanics, and experience with backpacking, working with teens, and theatre.
$450-$650/week base salary. This position begins in May and has the potential to become a full-time year-round position (Director of Programs) with benefits.
2. Director (2 openings): directs either the High School Ensemble’s production of Much Ado About Nothing, or the Middle School Ensemble’s production of The Doctor in Spite of Himself by Molière. Director serves as most senior faculty member of small ensemble of 13 performers, supported by professional designers and two assistants. Each session ends with a short three-day performance tour.
Ideal candidate will have a graduate degree, training in Shakespeare/Commedia dell’Arte, experience directing students (ages 10-13 or 13-17), a strong belief in the power of the ensemble, and a relish for working outdoors. $400-$550/week base salary.
3. Lead Teacher (1 opening): teaches theatre skills to elementary school students in a series of one-week sampler camps. Lead teacher serves as most senior faculty member of small ensemble of 13 performers, supported by two assistants. Each session ends with a small showcase for parents and other campers.
Ideal candidate will have a graduate degree, training in Shakespeare, improvisation, stage combat, Commedia dell’Arte, experience teaching students (ages 8 – 11), a strong belief in the power of the ensemble, and a relish for working outdoors. $400-$500/week base salary.
Dates: There are four sampler weeks during the summer: June 24 – 28, July 15 – 19, July 22 – 26, and August 12 – 16. There is no Thursday overnight for these sessions, but the instructor is required to stay until 7:00 pm on Thursdays.
Image Credit: Photograph: Jessica Wallach, 2019