Vail Jazz is a non-profit organization based in Vail, Colorado whose mission focuses on young musicians and young audiences. Every summer Vail Jazz produces the 12-week Vail Jazz Festival, comprised of 5 distinct series which includes a total of over 60 shows. These range from local favorites like the outdoor concerts every Thursday night and Sunday afternoon, to the nationally renowned five-day Vail Jazz Party over Labor Day Weekend, as well as a number of educational programs and events.
Vail Jazz has six full time employees – the Executive Director, Development Director, Marketing Director and Operations & Artist Relations Manager, Office & Volunteer Coordinator and Development Coordinator – and seasonally hires staff and interns for the Vail Jazz Festival. A year-round Production Manager supports our events but does not hold office hours. In addition, the Founder/Artistic Director is involved in daily oversight of the organization.
There will be two interns for the 2017 Festival: a New Media intern and an Operations and Events intern.
This internship is geared towards supporting all aspects of the organization’s festival including administration, promotion, event preparation and ticket and merchandise sales. The internship is designed to be both incredibly rewarding and challenging—the successful candidate will spend a significant amount of time working both in office and on-site at events. Vail Jazz is a highly collaborative work environment and it will be expected that the intern pitch in where needed.
Details of Internship
This internship has distinct on-site and in-office responsibilities. The winning candidate will support all office staff as well as work directly with the Operations & Artist Relations Manager to manage ticket and merchandise sales. He/she will also support outreach efforts both in person and electronically. At all events, the intern will act as the point person for on-site sales, including management of merchandise and ticket sales.
Dates of internship: June 7 – September 7, 2017 (3 months).
To be considered for the internship, candidates must be able to commit to the full duration of the internship. The internship draws to a close after Labor Day Weekend, which is the culminating event for the festival season, requiring all hands on deck.
Intern compensation includes $400/month stipend and housing provided in Vail or Avon, CO. Internship will pay an $800 bonus upon completion of the internship.
Intern must provide his/her own vehicle and laptop computer. Intern is responsible for paying taxes on earnings as this is considered a contract position and no taxes will be taken out of compensation checks. Clean driving record and proof of vehicle insurance is required.
REQUIREMENTS AND DUTIES
General Office Duties
- Answer phones and take ticket orders as needed.
- Support Operations & Artist Relations Manager’s ticket management and reporting efforts, preparations for ticket and merchandise sales at events.
- Return voicemail inquiries and email correspondences within 24 hours.
- Check Vail Jazz mailbox daily and mail merchandise orders timely.
- Other duties as assigned.
On-site Event Duties
- Set up, manage, and close out ticket and merchandise sales at the following events:
- Vail Jazz @ The Market: Sundays, June 25 – August 27
- Vail Jazz @ Vail Square: Thursdays, July 6 – August 31
- Vail Jazz @ Riverwalk: every other Friday, June 9 – August 18
- Vail Jazz Party: August 31 – Sept 4
- Actively promote sales of both tickets and merchandise to increase bottom line while servicing guests.
- Record and balance all sales. Complete close sheets at end of events.
- Conduct and report on email and on-site surveys.
Promotions + Event Preparation Duties
- Ensure event venues are supplied with event programs for each show.
- Distribute event programs and posters throughout the Vail Valley.
- Distribute hand bills throughout town to promote upcoming events.
- Ensure that the entire summer calendar is posted and accurately represented on third party online calendars
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs is a must, proficiency with Excel.
- A highly organized individual who can set timelines and adhere to deadlines.
- Outgoing, energetic and engaging personality. Flexible and hands-on approach to taking on responsibility.
- Database experience preferred, esp. CRM software such as Salesforce.
- Experience with sales or promotions. Hotel or retail sales a plus.
ADDITIONAL NOTES ABOUT INTERNSHIP
- Job duties will vary on a daily basis and the schedule of the intern will be varied.
- Flexibility and a hands-on approach will be expected at all times.
- Management will establish intern priorities and adjust as necessary; however, intern will be expected to meet deadlines and stay on schedule with projects.
- Once festival season is underway, intern work schedule will generally be Sunday – Thursday, but intern will be required to work a significant number of holidays, weekends and nights, based on event schedule.
- Intern must be able to lift 50 pounds and have his/her own vehicle that can be used for work related purposes. Proof of car insurance must be provided at start of employment.
- Duties described herein are geared toward a full time Internship and require the full attention of the winning candidate.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume outlining their applicable background and skills to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include dates of availability in your cover letter. Let us know why you believe you are the ideal candidate for this position – what skills do you possess that make you stand out? Please submit access to your work – blog or other web-based examples or written work. Although supporting materials are not required, they are encouraged to demonstrate your skills.
Applicants will be selected for phone/video interviews on a rolling basis and early applicants are encouraged. Decisions will take place by end of April.