The Wassaic Project seeks Programming and Education interns to work in Wassaic, NY from June 2017 until September 2017. Wassaic is about 90 miles north of NYC is accessible by car and by Metro North (train goes directly to Wassaic).
Work with a group of young, passionate artists and curators at the Wassaic Project, a vibrant multidisciplinary arts organization based in Wassaic, NY. Learn about aspects of running an arts organization from curating, press, marketing, event planning, installation, gallery management and more. Because the Wassaic Project is a small, young organization, interns have a unique opportunity to contribute to the long-term identity of the organization and take on substantial responsibility. Interns have the chance to manage their own projects and will work on our Summer Benefit, our Summer Exhibition and Festival application process, curation, promotion and installation, our Artist Residency application process and logistics, and will help manage our Artist Residency program and events. Interns will work directly with artists as well as the directors of the Wassaic Project.
Programming Intern Requirements
- Applicants must be responsible, have excellent interpersonal skills, be detail oriented and able to learn quickly, love art, and enjoy getting to know new people.
- Must be familiar with Microsoft office suite: Word, Excel and mail merge tools, basic blogging, and social media
- Must be available to live onsite 5 days per week in Wassaic, NY, including weekends (days off will be weekdays). Housing will be provided, cars are recommended but not required.
Education Interns will have the unique opportunity of working on many aspects of the Wassaic Project’s education programming, which connects the artists and dynamic creative resources of the Project to the greater Dutchess County and Northwest Connecticut community. Interns will engage with contemporary art educators and teaching strategies while participating in and contributing to a growing education department.
Tasks will include:
- Working in and helping to manage Art Nest, the Wassaic Project’s free, drop-in open studio space.
- Assisting with summer education programs for K-6th graders and printmaking workshops for teens and adults.
- Serving as a tour guide for visiting camp and school groups.
- Working with a team of high school education interns.
- Promoting the education programs within the greater Wassaic community.
- Researching alternative education programs and strategies.
Education Intern Requirements
- Applicants must have experience working with K-6th graders.
- Must be responsible, have excellent interpersonal skills, be detail oriented and able to learn quickly, love art, and enjoy getting to know new people.
- Must be available to live onsite 5 days per week in Wassaic, NY, including weekends (days off will be weekdays). Housing will be provided.
All Interns must be passionate about the Wassaic Project’s mission, have an interest in contemporary art, be detail-oriented, and communicate well.
Send a single PDF file named: first_last_INTERNSHIP2017 (ex: Henri_Matisse_INTERNSHIP2017.pdf) to: email@example.com
subject: SUMMER INTERNSHIP APPLICATION 2017
Please include in the following order:
- Name, email, phone number, skype id, website (if applicable)
- Your availability: When will you be available to start working? When is the last date you can work?
- Contact information for 2 references (professional and/or professors)
- A BRIEF cover letter stating your interest in working with the Wassaic Project and something about yourself you think is interesting.
- Your resume
Application deadline: March 1, 2017