Mia’s Musings – October 22, 2012

in Mia Cross
October 22nd, 2012

by Mia Cross (CFA ’14)

dearabbeyschalk

Did you get to see my a cappella group, Chordially Yours, open for the Dear Abbeys at the Parent’s Weekend show?! Good music, spontaneous break dancing, and plenty of parents to go around. It’s ok if you missed it, I’ll keep you posted on when the next show is.

ParadiseShow

Have you ever been to a show at the Paradise Rock Club? Tickets are reasonably priced and a lot of great bands perform there. However, as I recall from freshman year when I lived in Claflin, if you happen to reside in West campus you may be able to save yourself the ticket purchase and just stick your ear out your window.

artgalleries

These pictures are of some art I saw when I visited the Chelsea galleries in New York City with my professors and some classmates. Have you ever been to any galleries in Boston? Next time you are on Newbury Street or in the South End check out some art! It is free to look, you see.

donanelson

This is Dona Nelson giving a lecture in the Jacob Sleep Auditorium earlier in the week. Nelson is a painter who explores abstraction in her works with the help of spontaneity and chance. Here is a link to her website http://www.donanelson.com/. The next artist to visit BU will be Amy Franceschini. She is an interdisciplinary artist who founded Futurefarmers.

insidecfagreen
Ever wonder what happens inside the CFA? Well this is pretty typical. This is one of my sculpture teachers concocting a paper mache substance that happens to look like vomit or guacamole depending on your outlook.
leiferick

I thought that since we just celebrated Columbus Day, it would be cool to show a Leif Erikson Statue… This monument is actually located on Commonwealth Ave near Danielson. The artist is Anne Whitney and it was erected in 1887. Celebrateboston.com pointed out that, “to this day a statue of John Hancock (and other revolutionary patriots) has never been erected in Boston, exemplifying the ancient tradition of whim-of-the-day planning in the city.” Pretty interesting.