A Boston University graduate student died after an accidental collision between his bicycle and a dump truck in front of the Museum of Science parking garage in Cambridge Friday morning.
The victim, 24-year-old Meng Jin (GRS’19), is from Shanghai, China. He had arrived at BU in September to begin graduate studies in economics and was living in Cambridge.
“We are extremely sad about this most unfortunate accident,” says Kenneth Elmore (Wheelock’87), associate provost and dean of students. “The University’s thoughts and prayers are with the student’s family.”
The crash occurred on Monsignor O’Brien Highway in front of the museum at about 8:15 am, according to State Police, who are conducting the accident investigation. The student was rushed by ambulance to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. State Police have notified his family.
According to a State Police statement, the truck was stopped at the intersection of Museum Way and O’Brien Highway, waiting to take a right turn onto Museum Way. The bicyclist was also stopped, on the right side of the truck, waiting to take the same turn. When both the truck and bicyclist began to make their right turn, the bicyclist was struck by one of the truck’s tires.
The investigation is ongoing. No charges have been filed, but if there were to be any, it would not happen until the conclusion of the investigation, according to State Police spokesperson David Procopio.
Elmore says that counseling support is available for all students, faculty, and staff, on campus and abroad, and he urges anyone seeking help to contact one of the following resources:
- Marsh Chapel chaplains can be reached at 617-353-3560.
- Behavioral Medicine providers at Student Health Services can be reached at 617-353-3569.
- Sexual Assault Response & Prevention Center (SARP) counselors can be reached at 617-353-SARP (7277).
- Counseling is also available for faculty and staff through the Faculty & Staff Assistance office, 617-353-5381.
- The Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders is at 617-353-9610.
BU Today will provide updates as information becomes available.