Adjunct Assistant Professor of Archaeology
CO-DIRECTOR, MICROSTRATIGRAPHY LABORATORY
ASSOCIATE EDITOR OF JOURNAL, GEOARCHAEOLOGY
PhD, University of Florence (Italy), 2000
Areas of interest: Archaeology of Fire, Ancient Pyrotechnologies, Use of Space, Site Formation Processes
EXCAVATIONS & FIELD WORK
Francesco Berna is an expert of Fourier transform infrared Microspectroscopy applied to archaeological investigations. His work is contributing to several important issues in Old and New World Archaeology. These include: The onset of the controlled use of fire during the Lower and Middle Paleolithic in South Africa, Europe, and the Middle East; dating the earliest out-of-Africa evidence of Homo erectus at Dmanisi and the earliest North American occupation in Oregon; the study of domestic and industrial pyrotechnological activities in Maya, Roman, Egyptian, Bronze, and Iron Age sites; the reconstruction of site formaton processes at the Middle Paleolithic Cave at Manot and at the Final Pre-Pottery Neolithic site of Beisamoun in the Upper Jordan Valley in Israel
- Marie Curie Outgoing International (OIF) Individual Fellowship, 2006-09
- E.U. Marie Curie Individual Fellowship, 2001-03
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- Berna F., Goldberg P., Kolska Horwitz L., Brink J., Holt S., Bamford M., Chazan M. 2012. Microstratigraphic evidence of in situ fire in the Acheulean strata of Wonderwerk Cave, Northern Cape province, South Africa. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, in press
- Wadley L., Sievers C., Bamford M., Goldberg P., Berna F., Miller C. 2011. Middle Stone Age bedding construction and settlement patterns at Sibudu, South Africa. Science, 334: 1388-1391
- Ferring R., Oms O., Augusti J., Berna F., Nioradze M., Shelia T., Tappen M., Vekua A., Zhvania D., and Lordkipanidze D. 2011. Earliest human occupations at Dmanisi (Georgian Caucasus) dated to 1.85-1.78 Ma. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 108: 10432-10436
- Goldberg P. and Berna F., 2010. Micromorphology and context. Quaternary International, 214: 56-62.
- Goldberg P., Berna F., and Macphail R.I. 2009. Comment on DNA from Pre-Clovis Human Coprolites in Oregon, North America. Science, 325 : 148b-148c.
- Berna F. and Goldberg P. 2007. Assessing Paleolithic pyrotechnology and associated hominin behavior in Israel. Israel Journal of Earth Sciences, 56: 107-121.
- Berna F., Behar A., Shahack-Gross R., Berg J., Zorn J., Boaretto E., Gilboa A., Sharon I., Shalev S., Silshtein S., and Weiner S. 2007. Sediments Exposed to High Temperatures: Reconstructing Pyrotechnological Practices in Late Bronze and Iron Age Strata at Tel Dor (Israel). Journal of Archaeological Science, 34: 358-373
- Berna F., Matthews A., and Weiner S. 2004. Solubilities of Bone Mineral from Archaeological Sites: the Recrystallization Window. Journal of Archaeological Science, 31: 867-882