Support: Cognitive Science, Computational Ling, Neuroling, Semantics / the Netherlands
Institution/Organization: Research consortium ‘Language in Interaction’
Web Address: http://www.languageininteraction.nl
Duties: Research,Project Work
Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Neurolinguistics; Semantics
The Dutch Research Consortium ‘Language in Interaction’ located in Nijmegen, the Netherlands
is welcoming applications for seven PhD positions involving work on the following projects:
- Modelling and mapping generalisation and knowledge acquisition in the hippocampal-prefrontal-thalamic circuit;
- Connectivity-based fingerprinting of memory and language network dynamics;
- Perception of multidimensional sounds in humans and birds: Are speech categories special?
- The Game of Language: Complex Communication and Mental States;
- Neural processing of action, gesture and language in healthy and autistic individuals;
- Neurobiologically realistic computational models of language processing;
- Data driven investigation of intrinsic dynamic brain states underlying language processing.
We are looking for highly motivated PhD candidates to enrich a unique consortium of researchers that aims to unravel the neurocognitive mechanisms of language at multiple levels. The goal is to understand both the universality and the variability of the human language faculty from genes to behaviour. Currently, the consortium advertises seven PhD positions for a period of 4 years. Depending on the PhD position applied for, candidates will be appointed at one of the home institutions of the consortium. These positions provide the opportunity for conducting world-class research as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
The following are general requirements for the PhD positions:
- Master’s degree in one of the preferred disciplines (for detailed requirements regarding each position, see website: http://www.languageininteraction.nl/jobs/phd-positions.html);
- strong motivation;
- excellent proficiency in written and spoken English.
How to apply
Please include with your application a motivation letter (attn. of Prof. P. Hagoort), CV and any required attachments:
- a cover letter quoting the vacancy number and the number(s) of the PhD position(s) you apply for.
- a curriculum vitae (CV);
- a list of publications;
- the names of two persons who can provide references.
You should upload these documents using the ‘Apply directly’ URL (you will be taken to website:
You may apply for more than one position.
For more information, see website:
The Netherlands has an outstanding track record in the language sciences. This research consortium sponsored by a large grant from the Netherlands Organization for Scientific research (NWO) brings together many of the excellent research groups in the Netherlands with a research programme on the foundations of language. The research team consists of 43 Principal Investigators. In addition to the excellence in the domain of language and related relevant fields of cognition, our consortium provides state-of-the-art research facilities and a research team with ample experience in the complex research methods that will be invoked to address the scientific questions at the highest level of methodological sophistication. These include methods from genetics, neuroimaging, computational modelling, and patient-related research. This consortium realizes both quality and critical mass for studying human language at a scale not easily found anywhere else.
Application Deadline: 30-Sep-2014
Web Address for Applications: http://www.languageininteraction.nl/jobs/id-2nd-phd-call-general.html
LINGUIST List: Vol-25-2855