Per Diem Rates
Per Diem Rates (BUMC & CRC)
To recover a portion of the money spent on animal care, per diem rates for the various species are charged by the Animal Science Center (ASC). Depending upon a researcher’s affiliation within or to the University and the sources of funding, different per diem rates may apply than are posted below. Per diem rates are established by the University and published on an annual basis. Please contact the ASC main office at (617) 638-4086 if you have any questions about your applicable rates or affiliation status.
Per diems will be charged for each day or fraction of a day that a cage or animal is within an ASC managed space. Per diems will not be pro-rated. Cage/animal census counting will be based upon ASC policies and standard practices.
Included in Per Diems
- Routine and standard husbandry (Including sterile mouse and rat caging)
- Routine cage changes (per ASC standard practices)
- Routine health care (Diagnostics & Treatment)
- Emergency Care-(Not caused by research protocols)
- Self Injury Care (Suturing, wound care)
- Daily Vet and Vet Tech Rounds
- Routine dental care
- Routine sentinel program (Testing/Bleeding)
- Occupational health monitor or exposures including animal bites and scratches
- Disease outbreak management (Manpower, PPE, diagnostics and lab tests, etc.)
- Euthanasia-related carcass or tissue disposal
- Diagnostic necropsies
- Environmental enrichment
- Colony health management (vendor quality and vendor approvals)
- Training & protocol development
- Animal procurement services
- Routine facility inspections, maintenance and repairs
- Routine billing
Not Included in Per Diems and charged as special services
- Quarantine Assays
- Quarantine management from unapproved vendors
- Special husbandry requests inside or outside of ASC
- Rederivation procedures
- Research Activities (Injections, Tissue samples, Anesthesia, Surgical Support Post-Op care, and breeding services)
- Special technical services including drugs, supplies or materials requested by PIs
- Special PPE request
- Unapproved transfers, imports/exports or shipping costs
- Emergency care or treatments caused by research activities
- Research related necropsies
- Shipping and crate fees
- Import & Export fees
- Extra cage changes beyond ASC standard practices due to research model or protocol requirements (i.e. PU/PD models or reduced bedding requests)
- Special equipment/room installation, storage, or removal costs
- Special housing or room segregation requests
- Dedicated housing or procedure room requests
- Special invoicing requests
Effective March 1,2014, Boston University is implementing new animal rates for all BU faculty located on the Charles River and Medical Campuses. The uniform pricing has been developed in recognition of the increasing numbers of faculty who are collaborating across the University campuses. The table below shows the university subsidized cost charged to PIs, as well as the full cost of the per diems for the individual species. Please note these rates are exclusive of BSL-3 and BSL-4 research.
|Species||PI Cost||Full Cost|
|Mouse – Healthy||$1.01||$2.57|
|Mouse – Isolation||$1.26||$2.57|
Boston University will continue to subsidize the costs of animal housing as part of its investment in the research enterprise. The subsidized rates are intended only for faculty supported by federal, foundation or private grants for which the F&A is at the BU negotiated rate or the maximum rate allowed by the sponsor.
For more information on the services available to Boston University investigators using animals in research, please do not hesitate to contact the Animal Science Center at email@example.com.
Authorization for Animal Housing and Special Services Costs
- Download the Animal Authorization for Animal Housing and Special Services Form
- Contact ASC for rates regarding any species not listed above.
- Per diem (daily) rate covers standard feed, standard bedding, cage changing and sanitization at the standard interval for the species, routine health monitoring, and veterinary care for naturally-occurring diseases as described in the per diem overview. Other services may be provided on a fee for service basis. One-time set-up, conditioning, or quarantine charges may also apply for animal purchases.
- Click on Rodent Cage Capacity Policy to find the maximum number of mice and rats that can be housed in each cage.
Instructions for Authorization for Animal Housing and Special Services Costs For
Investigators, with the exception of BMC Investigators, must submit a BUworks Internal Service Request (ISR) when placing animal orders. BMC Investigators must continue to use ASC animal order form when placing animal orders. All Investigators who house animals at the ASC should immediately submit a signed Authorization for Animal Housing and Special Services Costs Form to the ASC. The form will be used to confirm eligibility for a grant to qualify for the per diem rate. Grants not eligible will be billed at the full per diem rate. We must receive a completed form prior to or at the same time of your first animal purchase.
Authorization forms may be forwarded to the Med Campus Business Office, 700 Albany Street, W707, 617-638-4055 (f) or Charles River Campus Business Office, 5 Cummington Street, 617-353-4527 (f). When completing this form, please remember that the Principal Investigator and the protocol number MUST match. The User of the animals can be different and the owner of the grant funds used to pay housing costs can be different but the Principal Investigator and the protocol number MUST match.
You may use one form or multiple Authorization Forms to indicate the funding (BMC activity number or BU source number) for your animals. One form is sufficient if all your animals are to be supported by the same source or set of sources. If you want to use different sources for different groups of animals, two or more forms must be submitted. If different sources are used to support subsets of animals within the same animal species, the animals’ cage cards must be marked by the Investigator to indicate which source is to be charged for each cage. ASC will then establish separate census sheets for each funding source to be used. If you wish to explore this option, please either contact a member of the Animal Care management staff for further details or use our general contact form.
This new authorization form offers Investigators more flexibility so that grant funds are not encumbered, source changes are easier to process, and payments can be made by more expeditiously. Please contact the Med Campus Business Office (617) 638-5280 or the Charles River Campus Business Office 617-353-5415 if you have any questions concerning this process.