Vaishali Sanchorawala, M.D.
Director, Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation Program,
Boston Medical Center; The Amyloidosis Center
- Department of Medicine
- Cancer Center
- Seth G. S. Medical College, KEM Hospital (Mumbai, India), M.B.B.S.
- Residency: University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology, Boston Medical Center
- Fellowship: Stem Cell Transplant, Boston Medical Center
- Amyloidosis Working Group, Salmon/Barlogie Southwest Oncology Group Myeloma Committee
- Amyloid Journal Editor
- American Journal of Blood Research – Senior editor
- Principal Investigator: A Phase I/II Trial of Pomalidomide and Dexamethasone in Subjects with Previously Treated AL Amyloidosis (Celgene Corporation / H-38012)
- Principal Investigator: Study of Dexamethasone Plus MLN9708 or Physician’s Choice of Treatment Administered to Patients With Relapsed or Refractory Systemic Light Chain (AL) Amyloidosis (Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. / C16011)
- Principal Investigator: Bendamustine and Dexamethasone in Patients with Relapsed AL Amyloidosis (Columbia University, Cephalon / 31928)
- Principal Investigator: Melphalan, Bortezomib, and Stem Cell Transplant in Treating Patients With Primary Systemic Amyloidosis (NCI NIH / CDR0000618857)
- Principal Investigator: Oral MLN9708 in Adult Patients With Relapsed or Refractory Light Chain Amyloidosis (Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. / MLN9708)
- Principal Investigator: Melphalan and Dexamethasone With or Without Bortezomib in Treating Patients With Previously Untreated Systemic Light-Chain Amyloidosis (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group / ECOG-E4A08)
- Co-Investigator: Inactivated Varicella-zoster Vaccine (VZV) as a Preventative Treatment for Herpes Zoster (HZ) and HZ-related Complications in Participants Undergoing Hematopoietic Cell Transplants (HCTs) (Merck / V212-001 AM3)
Dr. Vaishali Sanchorawala is the Director of the Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation Program at Boston University Medical Center. She has been affiliated with the The Amyloidosis Center at Boston University School of Medicine since 1994. She has been one of the pioneers in the field of clinical research in AL amyloidosis. Her work in the treatment of primary systemic amyloidosis has been published in many peer-reviewed journals, which has resulted in the evolution of the standard of care for these patients. She is currently heading several clinical trials in the treatment of AL amyloidosis, one of which is being conducted nationally through the Southwest Oncology Group.
- Comenzo RL, Reece D, Palladini G, Seldin D, Sanchorawala V, Landau H, Falk R, Wells K, Solomon A, Wechalekar A, Zonder J, Dispenzieri A, Gertz M, Streicher H, Skinner M, Kyle RA, Merlini G: A framework for clinical research in systemic light-chain (AL) amyloidosis: consensus report of the first Amyloidosis Foundation roundtable. Leukemia, in press 2012.
- Sanchorawala V: Role of high-dose melphalan and autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in AL amyloidosis. Am J Blood Res. 2012;2(1):9-17, 2012.
Charlot M, Seldin DC, O’Hara C, Skinner M, Sanchorawala V: Localized amyloidosis of the breast: a case series. Amyloid: J Prot Folding Disorders, 18: 72-75, 2011.
Cibeira MT, Sanchorawala V, Seldin DC, Quillen K, Berk JL, Dember LM, Segal A, Ruberg F, Meier-Ewert H, Andrea N, Sloan JM, Finn K, Doros G, Blade J, Skinner M: Outcome of AL amyloidosis after high-dose melphalan and autologous stem-cell transplantation: long-term results in a series of 421 patients. Blood, 118:4346-4352, 2011.
Cowan AJ, Skinner M, Berk JL, Sloan JM, O’Hara C, Seldin DS, Sanchorawala V: Macroglossia—not always AL amyloidosis. Amyloid: J. Prot Folding Disorders, 18: 83-86, 2011.
Meier-Ewert HK, Sanchorawala V, Berk JL, Ruberg FL. Cardiac amyloidosis: evolving approach to diagnosis and management. Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine. 2011;13(6):528-42
Sanchorawala V, Quillen K, Sloan JM, Andrea NT, Seldin DC. Bortezomib and high-dose melphalan conditioning for stem cell transplantation for AL amyloidosis: a pilot study. Haematologica. Dec;96(12):1890-2, 2011.
Seldin DC, Andrea N, Berenbaum I, Berk JL, Connors L, Dember LM, Doros G, Fennessey S, Finn K, Girnius S, Lerner A, Libbey C, Meier-Ewert H, O’Connell R, Quillen K, Ruberg FL, Sam F, Segal A, Shelton A, Skinner M, Sloan JM, Wiesman JF, and Sanchorawala V: High dose melphalan and autologous stem cell transplantation for AL amyloidosis: recent trends in treatment-related mortality and one-year survival at a single institution. XIIth International Symposium on Amyloidosis, Amyloid: J Prot Folding Disorders, 2011.
Dey BR, Chung S, Spitzer TR, Zheng H, MacGillivray TE, Seldin DC, MsAfee S, Ballen K, Attar E, Wang T, Shin J, Newton-Cheh C, Moore S, Sanchorawala V, Skinner M, Madsen JC, Semigran MJ: Cardiac transplantation followed by dose-intensive melphalan and autologous stem-cell transplantation for AL amyloidosis and heart failure. Transplantation, 90:905-911, 2010.
Girnius S, Seldin DC, Skinner M, Finn KT, Quillen K, Doros G, Sanchorawala V: Short and long term outcome of treatment with high-dose melphalan and stem cell transplantation for multiple myeloma-associated AL amyloidosis. Annals of Hematology, 89:579-584, 2010.
Sanchorawala V, Seldin DC, Berk JL, Sloan M, Doros G, Skinner M: Oral cyclic melphalan and dexamethasone for patients with AL amyloidosis. Clin. Lymphoma, Myeloma, Leukemia 10: 469-472, 2010.