The College of Arts & Sciences, the flagship school of BU, continues to uphold a strong commitment to its faculty and students and a dedication to the values and practices of liberal arts education. CAS plays a leading role in building the undergraduate curriculum University-wide and is the largest and most varied of the University’s schools, housing the broadest and most visible research programs.
Your gift to the CAS Fund supports the first-rate research and teaching efforts that have formed the foundation of the College’s success for 134 years. An institution as large and diverse as the College of Arts & Sciences has many needs.
The following are just some of the areas that benefit from your support.
Excellence in Teaching and Research
Gifts to the CAS Fund advance the work of students and faculty by providing additional resources for symposia, conferences, lecture series, and increased collaboration among researchers. Recent examples of these opportunities include:
- Underwriting of a pilot junior year at sea for our Marine Science students
- Establishment of competitive research fellowships for leading CAS humanities faculty
- Funding that supports travel for faculty to present their research at national and international conferences and enrich the reputation of BU
The College is continually enhancing its facilities to enrich student life and upgrade students’ learning environments. Recent projects include:
- Equipping hallways with seating and laptop power stations, providing a place for students to work between classes
- Installing computer stops (flat-screened computer monitors where students can check their class schedules and e-mail) throughout the CAS buildings
- Funding lab upgrades and classroom equipment (e.g., computers, scanners, telescopes, digital cameras), exposing our undergraduate students to the newest standards in instructional technology
Emergency Financial Aid
Your contribution will ensure that deserving students continue to study at the College, regardless of their financial status. Both merit- and need-based financial aid are available.
The College continually creates opportunities for students to augment their academic studies through interactions with classmates and faculty members, forging a supportive welcoming learning environment. Community-building activities include:
- A large number of student organizations focused on varied fields of study, service to the University and community, and cocurricular interests
- Barbecues for the entire CAS community
- Exam-time snacks-and-coffee hours for all undergraduate students
- Open forums with the dean
Dean Virginia Sapiro uses gifts from the CAS Fund to underwrite important College-wide priorities. Donors may also indicate a preference that gifts be designated for a particular academic department. The English Department, for example, has used CAS Fund monies to create summer grants for undergraduate research projects.
The College of Arts & Sciences offers the opportunity to join one of the CAS Annual Fund Leadership Giving Societies. Benefits can be found at www.bu.edu/annualfund. The College currently has more than 200 Leadership Giving Society members, and we hope to double that number by 2010.
Just as the College is proud of its faculty and students, it is proud of its alumni. The dean welcomes your comments and observations regarding the College’s relationships with its graduates. We hope to hear from you.