ARTstor is a digital library of nearly one million images in the areas of art, architecture, the humanities, and social sciences with a set of tools to view, present, and manage images for research and pedagogical purposes.
The Digital Library serves users both within the arts and in disciplines outside of the arts. This includes historians of art and architecture and others engaged in the visual arts, as well as individuals in fields as diverse as American Studies, Anthropology, Asian Studies, Classical Studies, Literary Studies, Medieval Studies, Music, Religious Studies, and Renaissance Studies.
Boston University holds a site-wide licence through Mugar Library which can be access directly here. Any issues with ARTstor should be directed to Dan Benedetti, Head of The Pickering Educational Resources Library.
Krasker Film/Video Services
Krasker Film/Video Services provides instructional support to Boston University faculty, staff, and current students. Films and videos owned by Boston University are listed in our on-line catalogue. The collection is not available to outside organizations, student groups, or the public; and the materials are not available for inter-library loan.
The collection consists of over 18,000 titles on film, videocassette, laserdisc and DVD. The complete catalogue is searchable by title, director, keyword, subject or series heading; description of each title is included; updated weekly. Alphabetic lists of recent acquisitions are given for titles added to the collection in the past 30 days, 90 days, and 180 days. Search the KRASKER ON-LINE CATALOGUE.
Mugar Memorial Library
Mugar Library’s art history holdings number some 150,000 volumes. Most books owned by Mugar circulate. Research guides in The History of Art & Architecture and related fields are available on the Web. The Guides provide links to the library’s subscription databases such as Art Full Text and Grove Art Online. Research consultations are offered upon request. Boston University students and faculty can access the library from home or office using their BU e-mail user accounts. Check the library’s Web pages for additional research tools, services, and general information.
If you have more questions regarding the resources at Mugar, please contact Ruth Thomas, Art History Bibliographer, at email@example.com or 617-353-3770.
The Photographic Resource Center at Boston University
The PRC is located on the Boston University campus at 832 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215 (Phone: 617-975-0600). The library and gallery are available to Boston University students. A list of current events can be obtained from the Center. More information can be found on the PRC website.
Local and Regional Museums and Libraries
- Addison Gallery of American Art
- Childs Gallery
- Concord Museum
- Currier Gallery of Art
- Danforth Museum
- DeCordova Museum
- Essex Institute Museum and Neighborhood
- Fuller Art Museum
- Harvard University Libraries and Museums (Busch-Reisinger Museum, Countway Library, Fine Arts Library, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University Archives, Harvard-Yenching Library, Houghton Reading Room, Loeb Library, Peabody Museum, Tozzer Library, Widender Library)
- Institute of Contemporary Art
- Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (List Visual Arts Center, Rotch Visual Collections, M.I.T. Museum, M.I.T. Archives and Special Collections)
- Museum of Afro-American History
- Museum of American Textile History
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (William Morris Hunt Memorial Library)
- Museum of the National Center for Afro-American Artists
- Museum of Our National Heritage
- Rose Art Museum, Brandeis University
- Vose Galleries
- Wellesley College, Art Library and Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum
- American Antiquarian Society
- Archives of American Art
- Artists Foundation
- Boston Architectural Center
- Boston Athenaeum
- Boston Public Library
- Boston Visual Artists Union
- Bostonian Society
- Cambridge Arts Council
- Cape Anne Historical Association
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Archives
- Copley Society
- Gibson House
- Massachusetts Cultural Council
- Massachusetts Historical Society
- New England Historic and Genealogical Society
- Society for Architectural Historians
- Society of Arts and Crafts
- Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities