Some Botswana Proverbs
The Tswana live in Botswana and South Africa
- Eating without sharing is like swearing with your mouth.
- To give away is to make provision for the future.
- We are people because of other people.
- He who offended forgets, but he who suffered from the offense does not.
- Eyes can see widely: They can cross a river in full flood.
- What is seen is seen by all.
- Plenty is like the mist.
- Famine hides under the granary.
- To travel is to see.
- To kiss the child is to kiss the mother.
- The cripple is fair in its mother’s eyes.
- You can’t keep a bull in the Kraal.
Compiled by Barbara Brown, PhD