lesson plans, annotated bibliographies, and ideas for classroom activities
This site contains lesson plans, annotated bibliographies, and ideas for classroom activities. We also have teaching tips on this site accessible via the Teaching Tips link at the bottom of this page.
All of the following resources have been prepared by the African Studies Outreach Program at Boston University unless otherwise noted. These resources are available free of charge and are a copyright of Boston University unless otherwise noted.
See a complete list of our resources here.
Games and Activities
- Some Key Resources for Teaching African History
- A Short List of Recommended Books, Videos, and Curricula for All Grades
- Middle School (Grade 6–8)
- Middle School: African History Bibliography
- Recommended Picture Books on Africa: A Short List
- Bibliography of Children’s Literature
- Africana Children’s Book Award Winners
- Ghana, Mali, Songhai: Enduring Understandings
- Africa in the Cold War: A Preliminary Bibliography
- Gold: Teaching Resources
Resource Lists by Country
Primary Source Documents
Slide and Photo Resources
We also have a section containing handouts filled with teaching tips.