Advanced Credit

As a new student at BU, you may be eligible for advanced credit that can be used to fulfill your general education or concentration requirements. It can also be used as elective credit.

Advanced credit can be helpful if you are planning:

  • Dual concentration
  • BU Dual Degree program
  • Combined BA/MA or BS/MS program
  • Early graduation

You can qualify for advanced credit based on any of the following:

Superior results on any of these examinations demonstrate a level of achievement beyond most standard high school programs. In order to receive credit, students must provide original documentation as it is available. In some cases, final credit will be determined by the student’s School or College of admission. Admissions may request additional credentials as needed.

Boston University reserves the right to reevaluate and update the above policies at any time. For information on advanced credit for high scores on these exams, please see the individual guides.

Please note: Students admitted into the Seven-Year Liberal Arts/Medical or Dental Programs cannot receive advanced credit.

Advanced Placement Credit

Most programs at Boston University award credit for test scores of 4 or 5 on most AP Examinations. For some programs and exams, credit is awarded for a score of 3. Please refer to our Advanced Credit Guide for more information. To receive Advanced Placement credit, make sure your official examination scores are submitted directly to BU by the College Board. Boston University’s College Entrance Examination Board code is 3087.

Credit for College Coursework

BU generally awards credit for liberal arts courses completed with a grade of C or better at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution. Professional courses may transfer at the discretion of the admitting school or college. Courses taken at international universities are subject to approval. Please see the High School/Dual Enrollment policy in our academic bulletin for full details.

The basic unit of credit at Boston University is the semester hour. A typical, full-time course load is 16 hours per semester—usually four courses of four semester hours each. For transferable courses on a semester-credit-hour system, you’ll receive an equal number of semester hours. For courses on a quarter-credit-hour system, you’ll get two-thirds of the total number of quarter-hours. In most cases, the admitting school or college issues the final evaluation.

In order to seek credit for college-level work completed prior to matriculation (pre-college credit) into an undergraduate program:

  • Students must request that the external college or university send an official college or university transcript and course syllabus to the University Registrar for transfer credit evaluation.
  • The high school sponsoring the dual enrollment must certify that the course(s) under consideration for transfer credit did not fulfill high school degree requirements.
  • The transfer of credit will be determined per the policy on Transfer of Undergraduate Credit from US Institutions.