How to Apply
To be considered for a Trustee Scholarship:
- Trustee Scholarship applicants must be nominated by their secondary school principal or headmaster. The individual nominating you should complete and submit the Trustee Scholarship Nomination Web Form.
- Trustee Scholarship applicants are also required to submit an essay of 600 words or less in response to one of the following topics:
- Recent disclosures have revealed that the US government maintains a database that logs all American telephone calls and actively collects the contents of large numbers of domestic and foreign emails. National security officials have testified that these once-secret programs have disrupted more than 50 “potential terrorist events.” The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has filed a suit against the Obama administration demanding an end to this surveillance, contending that it “gives the government a comprehensive record of our associations and public movements, revealing a wealth of detail about our familial, political, professional, religious, and intimate associations.” In your opinion, what are the considerations in determining how much domestic surveillance is warranted to prevent possible terrorist attacks? Do you agree with the ACLU’s position or that of the government? Where do you draw the line regarding data collection and when this should be prohibited?
- According to Dr. Francis Collins, head of the Human Genome Project, scientists will soon be able to perform genetic testing to determine an individual’s likelihood of developing 25 major diseases such as cancer, arterial sclerosis, and diabetes. Similar in-vitro testing will be available as well, permitting parents to know the probability of debilitating—as well as “undesirable”—traits in fertilized eggs before they are implanted in the womb. What are the arguments against making such information widely available? Do you agree or disagree with these arguments?
- Responding to the overwhelming amount of facts, information, and opinions that come to us through our electronic devices, the author Pico Iyer has written: “The only way to do justice to our onscreen lives is by summoning exactly the emotional and moral clarity that can’t be found on any screen.” Do you agree with this statement? Why?
- You must complete and submit your essay using the Trustee Scholarship Essay Web Form.
- Submit the Common Application for admission to one of the undergraduate degree programs at Boston University, along with the BU Writing Supplement and other supporting credentials by December 1.
- Submit the Trustee Scholarship Essay Form and ensure that your principal or headmaster has submitted the Nomination Form no later than December 1. Submit official results of either the SAT or the ACT Plus Writing. For the Accelerated Medical and Accelerated Dental programs, additional SAT Subject Tests are required. Please see the Program Requirements page. All tests must be taken no later than November.
For more information, please contact us at 617-353-2320.