The deadline to submit scholarship credentials for the Trustee Scholarship has passed. For information about Financial Assistance at Boston University, please click here.
How to Apply
To be considered for a Trustee Scholarship:
- Trustee Scholarship applicants must be nominated by their secondary school principal or headmaster. The individual nominating you should complete and submit the Trustee Scholarship Nomination Web Form.
- Boston University Trustee Scholars are encouraged to develop well-informed and well-reasoned views of important political, social, and artistic issues. We select students who have a sense of how to present persuasive arguments in support of their views. With that in mind, please select one of the questions below and respond with an essay explaining your perspective in 600 words or less. Please complete your essay on the Common Application website as part of your application to Boston University.
- Proponents of cognitive enhancement–the use of “smart pills,” deep brain stimulation with electrodes, brain-to-computer interfaces, and the like–describe a future with smarter, more productive, and higher achieving individuals. Critics of the vision voice ethical concerns about such technologies, as well as the social and professional consequences for those who cannot afford or choose not to use them. In your view, should cognitive enhancements be widely available?
- Pablo Picasso once said, “We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth, at least the truth that is given us to understand.” Do you believe art is a lie? What kinds of truth may art (or if you prefer, fiction, music, or poetry) cause us to realize?
- The International Criminal Court, established in 2002 to prosecute those guilty of wartime atrocities and crimes against humanity, has successfully tried and sentenced several former African leaders with support of the international community. Despite endorsing the court’s rulings, however, some governments believe that allowing their citizens to be tried by an international court would violate their own sovereignty. Do you believe that all people should be subject to prosecution by international judicial bodies like the International Criminal Court, or are there justifiable reasons for certain countries to protect their leaders and military personnel from such jurisdiction?
- Submit the Common Application for admission to one of the undergraduate degree programs at Boston University along with other supporting credentials by December 1.
- Ensure that your principal or headmaster has submitted the Nomination Form no later than December 1.
- Submit official results of either the SAT or the ACT Plus Writing. For the Accelerated Medical and Accelerated Dental programs, additional SAT Subject Tests are required. Please see the Program Requirements page. All tests must be taken no later than November.
For more information, please contact us at 617-353-2320.