Master of Business Administration/Master of Public Health (MBA/MPH)
The MBA/MPH is a full-time, 82-credit program leading to the award of both an MBA from Questrom School of Business and an MPH from the School of Public Health. The goal of the program is to provide students with a solid foundation in both management and public health in an integrated, structured curriculum.
MBA Program Components
The MBA is a 64-credit degree. MBA/MPH students must complete a minimum of 43 credits in residence at Questrom, including: 15 required core courses and 1 optional elective course at Questrom for 37 credits, at least 9 credits of health sector management courses at Questrom, and a health sector management internship. Students must maintain at least a 2.70 GPA (B–) to be considered in good academic standing at Questrom.
MBA Required Courses (36 credits)
- MG 790 Ethical Leadership in a Global Economy I (2 cr)
- MG 791 Ethical Leadership in a Global Economy II (2 cr)
- PL 727 Organizations, Markets, and Society (3 cr)
- QM 716 Business Analytics: Data Analysis and Risk (3 cr )
- AC 710 Financial Reporting and Analysis (3 cr)
- OM 725 Creating Value through Operations and Technology (3 cr)
- MK 723 Marketing Management (3 cr)
- FE 721 Finance (3 cr)
- PL 700 Intro to Business Law (2 cr)
- IS 710 IT Strategies for a Networked Economy (3 cr)
- OB 713 Leading Organizations and People (3 cr)
- SI 750 Competition, Innovation, and Strategy (3 cr)
- ES 721 Teaming (0 cr)
- ES 722 Executive Communication (0 cr)
- ES 723 Career Management (0 cr)
- ES 724 Professional Skills (1 cr)
- Elective (3 cr)
Health Sector Management Courses (10 credits)
- HM 703 Health Sector Issues and Opportunities (3 cr)
- SPH PH 717, PH 719, or PH 720* (4 cr)
*Choose one to take during the Spring that relates most to your SPH certificate
- HM 717 Drugs and Devices or HM 710 Health Service Delivery (3 cr)
MPH Program Components
The MPH is a 48-credit degree. MBA/MPH students must complete a minimum of 40 credits in residence at SPH and 8 credits are completed at Questrom. All courses counted to the MPH portion of the MBA/MPH must be numbered SPH XX 700 and above. No courses taken outside of the School of Public Health will count toward the MPH, including courses taken at other Boston University schools and colleges.
MPH Core Courses (12 credits)
Dual MBA/MPH degree students are waived from taking PH 718 Leadership and Management in Public Health (4 cr) upon successful completion of OB 713 Leading Organizations and People (3 cr) at Questrom. Students must adhere to the SPH grading policy in their MPH classes.
- SPH PH 717 Quantitative Methods for Public Health (4 cr)
- SPH PH 719 Health Systems, Law, and Policy (4 cr)
- SPH PH 720 Individual, Community, and Population Health (4 cr)
MPH Certificate & Elective Courses
Dual degree students must choose a functional or context area certificate and elective courses for a total of 20 SPH non-core course credits. Students cannot choose the Healthcare Management or Program Management certificates due to overlap with core MBA and Questrom Health Sector Management courses.
Possible Functional Certificates—16 credits
- Community Assessment, Program Design, Implementation, and Evaluation
- Design and Conduct of Public Health Research
- Environmental Hazard Assessment
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Health Communication and Promotion
- Health Policy and Law
- Monitoring and Evaluation
Context Certificates—12 credits
- Chronic and Non-Communicable Diseases
- Global Health
- Infectious Disease
- Maternal and Child Health
- Mental Health and Substance Use
- Social Justice, Human Rights, and Health Equity
- Sex, Sexuality, and Gender
MBA/MPH students earn 8 credits toward the MPH by completing the following courses:
- OB 713 Leading Organizations and People
- MG 790 Ethical Leadership in a Global Economy I
- AC 710 Financial Reporting and Analysis
Integrating Management and Public Health (4 credits required)
The required MBA internship partially fulfills the SPH practicum requirement. Students will also register for and complete PH 978 Integrating Management and Public Health (4 cr) to fulfill the SPH practicum requirement.
SPH Career Development Program (SPH PH 746, 0 credits)
MBA/MPH students are waived from the required SPH Career Development Program (SPH PH 746, 0 credits) upon successful completion of ES 721, ES 722, ES 723, and ES 724.
Integrated Learning Experience at SPH (SPH PH 845, 0 credits)
The Integrated Learning Experience (ILE) will be tied to the student’s functional certificate. Students who only select a context certificate will complete the ILE for the Healthcare Management certificate.
Applicants must apply simultaneously to the School of Public Health and Questrom School of Business, or during the first semester of the MBA program. Separate applications to each school are required.