Global Ecology Education Graduate Certificate
The Science Education program is also home to the sedGreen sustainability group, which, along with the Global Ecology Education Graduate Certificate, reflects our educational commitment to fostering a more compatible relationship between human beings and the planet that sustains us.
This certificate builds greater understanding of important issues such as anthropogenic-influenced climate change, deforestation, oil spills, and ocean acidification. The program is particularly geared for practicing middle and secondary life/general science teachers, science chairpersons, educators in the informal science domains (science museums, arboreta, botanical and zoological gardens, nature sanctuaries), science media professionals, environmental advocates in need of a stronger science basis, and students seeking to pursue greener pathways.
The Global Ecology Education Graduate Certificate program is a unique 16-credit program designed to:
- Convey up-to-date, evidence-based content on how the biosphere as a dynamic system functions and how we as humans can be a better “fit” with those systems.
- Share and practice inquiry-centered, activating pedagogy that helps emerging teachers to be most effective with students and the citizenry at large in becoming more literate in ecology.
- CAS BI 543 Global Ecology
- SED SC 512 Sustainable Human Ecology
- Two graduate courses from a selected list of electives
Combination with the MAT or EdM
MAT students may also qualify by opting to use their program electives plus the SC 511/571 Science Methods I to satisfy the requirements of this certificate. Thus, these students may graduate with a master’s, licensure, and a Global Ecology Education Graduate Certificate, all with 46 credits.
For many, the Global Ecology Education Graduate Certificate may serve as a stepping-stone to the Master of Education (EdM)—Global Ecology Education track. This 36-credit program offers comprehensive preparation in this field. Both this EdM and the certificate welcome part-time enrollees.