Minor in Physical Education, Health Education & Coaching
The Physical Education, Health Education & Coaching minor is offered to undergraduate students at Boston University wishing to enhance their knowledge of physical education, health education, and coaching.
Requirements for the Minor
Students will complete 14 credits of core courses and 6 credits of electives from the lists below.
Core Courses (14 cr)
- SED ED 100/101 Introduction to Education (6 cr)
- SED PE 103 Introduction to Human Movement (2 cr)
- SED PE 250 Community Leadership through Youth Sport Coaching (2 cr)
- SED PE 211 Movement Education, Early Childhood to Adolescence (2 cr) -OR-
SED PE 513 Practical Applications for PE and HE—Pre-Practicum (4 cr)
- SED HE 221 Foundations of Health Education (2 cr)
Elective Courses (6 cr)
- SED PE 211 Movement Education: Early Childhood to Adolescence (2 cr)
- SED PE 501 Methods of Coaching (4 cr)
- SED PE 506 Perceptual-Motor Development: Practical Applications for Movement (4 cr)
- SED PE 513 Practical Applications for PE and HE (4 cr)
- SED PE 375 Psychology of Sport (4 cr)
- SED HE 522 Community Health (4 cr)
- SED HE 523 Applied Nutrition (4 cr)
- SED HE 722 Curriculum Development for Health, Movement, and Wellness (4 cr) (Prerequisite: senior status) -OR- SED PE or HE summer term course at BU
NOTE: Courses 500 level or above are restricted to upperclassmen or permission of instructor. Other courses could be applied as electives after approval from Dr. Benes. A grade of C or higher is required in all courses taken toward the minor. No more than two classes may be taken at an external institution and applied to an SED minor.