EdM in Coaching
The Coaching specialization is designed for individuals seeking either to begin a professional career in athletic coaching or to further their professional development by expanding and deepening their knowledge about coaching. The Coaching specialization is also appropriate for individuals who wish to move toward a career in coaching and/or engage in research on coaching and coach education.
Study in this program focuses on the societal importance of good coaching and places particular emphasis on understanding the cultural, psychological, and ethical dimensions of various sport contexts. The program integrates the history and philosophy of sport in society, research on individual and team coaching, leadership and group development, and reflections on past and present coaching practice with experienced, successful coaches.
The Coaching specialization includes a range of courses from which students may choose, depending upon their background and interests. Within the 36 credits of coursework, five core courses (20 credits) and a practicum are required for all students. The remaining three courses are electives selected according to the student’s professional needs and interests in consultation with the advisor.
Candidates are required to have completed an introductory course in one of the following areas: human anatomy/human physiology; kinesiology, motor learning, or biomechanics; or exercise physiology. There is no licensure available in the Coaching specialization.
Core Coursework (20 cr)
- SED RS 600 Introduction to Research (4 cr)
- One course on values (4 cr)
- Three courses in coaching methodology (12 cr)
Elective Coursework (12 cr)
Students complete three elective courses. Elective coursework is chosen in consultation with the student’s academic advisor. Students may choose electives from the following list of courses. Other suitable courses offered at BU may be considered; however, a student must receive an advisor’s approval before commencing elective study.
Coaching, Organization, and/or Training
- SED PE 504 Workshop on Coaching Strategies (4 cr)
- SED PE 703 Management of Athletics and Physical Education (4 cr)
- SED AP 761 Organizational Analysis (4 cr)
- SED RS 751 Program Evaluation (4 cr)
- SED PE 566 Coaching Young Athletes (4 cr)
- SED PE 501 Advanced Methods of Coaching (4 cr)
- SED PE 529 Psychology of Coaching Teams (4 cr)
Human Development and Psychology
- SED CE 841 Theories of Human Development (infancy, childhood & early adolescence) (4 cr)
- SED CE 842 Theories of Human Development (adolescence and early adulthood) (4 cr)
- SED DS 504 Adolescent Development (3 cr)
- SED SE 650 Children at Risk (4 cr)
- SED CE 676 Socialization in Adolescence and Youth (4 cr)
Psychology of Performance
- SED CE 520 Psychology of Performance Excellence (4 cr)
- SED CE 650 Counseling Techniques in Sport & Exercise Psychology (4 cr)
- SED DS 700 Advanced Seminar in Sport & Exercise Psychology (4 cr)
Practicum (4 cr)
Students participate in a practicum experience under the direction of an experienced coach educator as their supervising practitioner.
- SED PE 591 Coaching Practicum (2 cr)
- SED PE 592 Coaching Practicum (2 cr)