Licensure of Educational Personnel

Many professions for which students prepare in the School of Education require licensure by the state, commonwealth, or district in which students wish to practice. For each program offered leading to a specific license or level of licensure in Massachusetts, a specific sequence of courses is required. A description of each sequence and information about program requirements is available from the appropriate program director or assigned academic advisor. It is important that students discuss their professional goals with an advisor at the initial conference and throughout the course of their academic programs.

Any additional Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education requirements and the collection and submission of documents necessary to meet licensure requirements are the responsibility of the student. To obtain licensure in Massachusetts, one must pass the required Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL), but passing the MTELs is not a condition of admission to SED nor a requirement for graduation.

Students completing a Massachusetts-approved educator licensure program may also be eligible for licensure in most other states through NASDTEC interstate reciprocity agreements. It is critical that students keep abreast of requirements in other states where they wish to seek licensure. Note that licensure rules and regulations may change at any time.

The Boston University Licensure Officer is prepared to assist students seeking licensure. For additional information, please contact the Licensure Officer at or 617-353-3239.