Academic and Student Resources

The School of Education’s numerous academic resources enrich intellectual inquiry and provoke philosophical debate. There is a strong tradition of faculty carrying theory into community action through the creation of programs and centers that not only advance research and academic dialogue, but also provide models for change and innovation.

Academic Resources

Academic Advising

Students are responsible for consulting with their academic advisors for the purpose of course selection.

Advisors have Advising Authorization Codes (AAC) for each undergraduate advisee.

Undergraduate & Graduate Student Services

The Undergraduate Student Services and Graduate Student Services offices seek to empower students’ success by providing them with the resources to navigate effectively and thrive in their academic pursuits. Additionally, the Graduate Student Services office provides information and assistance to graduate applicants, admitted students, and continuing students regarding financial assistance. Both offices act as a liaison between faculty, staff, and students, and resources across campus.
Director of Undergraduate Student Services: Caysie Carter, 1-617-353-3177
Undergraduate Student Services General:, 1-617-353-3177, Room 243
Director of Graduate Student Services: Katharine Nelson, 1-617-353-4237
Assistant Director of Graduate Student Services: Jessica Griffin, 1-617-353-4237
Graduate Student Services General:, 1-617-353-4237, Room 127
SED Conference Space Reservations:

Student Records Office

The Student Records office houses and processes materials pertaining to the student record for both graduate and undergraduate students. The SED Student Records office, in conjunction with the Undergraduate Student Services and Graduate Student Services offices, acts as a resource and support for faculty and students for academic activities, including graduation.
Assistant Registrar: Tom Reis, 1-617-353-4563
General:, 1-617-353-4235, Room 115

Licensure Office

Many professions for which students prepare in the School of Education require licensure by the state, commonwealth, or district in which students wish to practice. The University Licensure office is prepared to assist students seeking licensure in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or out of state.
Contact:, 1-617-353-3239, Room 113

Instructional Materials Center (IMC)

The IMC is a multimedia technology resource center for the SED community. At the IMC, students, faculty, and staff have access to various technologies and expertise that facilitate research, communication, collaboration, and the production of digital and paper-based educational resources. The center supports a wide range of instructional and communications aids, including extensive computing and printing resources, multimedia classrooms, telecommunications, scanning, digital video, and graphics.

The Pickering Educational Resources Library (PERL)

The PERL houses instructional support materials in print and electronic formats for early childhood through grade 12, and a literature collection for children and young adults. The collection also includes education reference books, curriculum and instruction-oriented books and periodicals, elementary and secondary school textbooks, standardized tests, curriculum guides, faculty publications, and recent SED dissertations. Library services include information on literacy, tutorials, and instruction, including training in electronic resources, research counseling, reference services, and maintenance of a reserve reading collection. An electronic classroom houses 25 computers with access to electronic resources and Microsoft applications, LCD/document projectors, and VCR/DVD equipment. Students may use the University’s extensive library system, including Mugar Memorial Library and its branches, the Boston Library Consortium, and Interlibrary Loan services. Visit the website for more information on Mugar Memorial Library and the University’s other libraries and special collections.