College of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College
Sargent College consists of four departments: Health Sciences, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy & Athletic Training, and Speech, Language & Hearing Sciences. Each undergraduate and graduate program aims to prepare students for careers in their field of interest.
The College’s professional programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), the Commission on Accreditation for Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), and the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). Its Occupational Therapy program* has been granted candidacy status by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA).
Sargent College offers a variety of degrees that reflects the wide range of its students’ levels, from bachelor’s and master’s degrees to doctoral programs. Fieldwork is an important component in all programs at Sargent College. To provide students with clinical experience, the College partners with hospitals, rehabilitation centers, schools, community health agencies, and research laboratories in the Boston area and throughout the United States.
Like all BU undergraduates, Sargent College students will complete their BU Hub requirements as part of their academic program. Further information is available within the sections describing each major.
Students in each program have the opportunity to work with faculty members in the following research and teaching facilities:
- Cytoskeleton & Signaling Laboratory
- Human Systems Neuroscience Lab
- India Research & Outreach Initiative
- Muscle Biology Laboratory
- Neural Systems Laboratory
- Nutritional Epidemiology Lab
- Sargent Choice Nutrition Center
- Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation
- Approach Motivation & Participation (AMP) Lab
- Families & Autism Research Lab
- Kids in Context Research Lab
- Motor Development Lab
- Project CAREER
- Youth and Young Adult Empowerment and Learning (YELL) Lab
Physical Therapy & Athletic Training
- Center for Neurorehabilitation
- Coordination Dynamics Laboratory
- Human Adaptation Laboratory
- Movement & Applied Imaging Lab
- Neuromotor Recovery Laboratory
- Physical Therapy Center
- Ryan Center for Sports Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Skeletal Muscle Physiology Lab
Speech, Language & Hearing Sciences
- Aphasia Research Laboratory
- Aphasia Resource Center
- Communication Neuroscience Research Laboratory
- Psychoacoustics Lab
- Sensorimotor Rehabilitation Engineering Lab
- Speech Neuroscience Lab
*The program is now eligible to proceed to Step 2 of the Initial Accreditation Process (the Initial Review), with the submission of the Self-Study Report due on July 1, 2018. The program will participate in an On-site Accreditation Team Visit in March of 2019, with the goal to receive formal accreditation before the first cohort of students graduate from the program.