BU Bulletin Content & Style Guide
Note: Find information about how to submit changes.
Purpose of the Bulletin
|The Bulletin IS
||The Bulletin Is NOT
|A University-wide academic reference||A promotional brochure|
|A handbook of programs and offerings||A duplicate of school, college, or department website content|
|An academic archive||A place for nonacademic information|
|Schools and colleges may begin updating Bulletin copy through the Curriculum Portal||11/1/2014|
|Deadline for submitting checklists||11/15/2014|
|For new degrees and degree requirement changes, see below|
|Final deadline for eCAP submission of proposals for NEW programs; changes of delivery format; any proposal involving a global activity (i.e., all proposals requiring University Council approval)||2/27/2015|
|Final deadline for all remaining eCAP submissions (not requiring University Council approval)||3/18/2015|
|These deadlines are assuming that the proposers have consulted in advance with the relevant Associate Provost|
|Deadline for schools and colleges to submit changes to:
Student orgs. and other student resources
External links (ex. centers and institutes pages, etc.)
|Deadline for schools and colleges to submit final corrections and course lists
New University-wide policies and changes to existing University policies must be approved by this date
Proposals for new programs and changes to programs must be approved by this date
|Content Freeze Date (includes course descriptions)||5/15/2015|
|Bulletin 2015/2016 launch||6/1/2015|
General Editorial Guidelines
- Study section guidelines. Before making edits, be sure to read your section’s guidelines thoroughly.
- Use Bulletin style. Put content in the appropriate section and use the Bulletin Style Guide to punctuate lists, academic degrees, and more.
- Be concise. Provide just the facts in simple, concrete terms.
- Use bullets. Break up large blocks of text and all lists, including lists of faculty, classes, etc., with bullets.
- Think “online.” Provide exact names of other sections/information you’d like to point to, along with their URLs. Submit to Creative Services; we will create Link Boxes (inline sidebars) that will house related links.
- Be consistent. Use the same style and tone across all sections of your Bulletin.
- Be thorough. The Bulletin is an unchangeable snapshot of a particular calendar year. Information is frozen (i.e., no edits allowed) as of May 15.