Graduate Certificate in Museum Studies
The Department of History of Art & Architecture offers a Certificate in Museum Studies to students enrolled in appropriate master’s or doctoral programs at Boston University. This certificate is usually completed in conjunction with the MA in History of Art & Architecture; however, the certificate program in museum studies is also open to students enrolled in other BU graduate degree programs. The certificate is awarded at the completion of the master’s degree.
Student must complete four courses to satisfy the certificate’s requirements:
- CAS AH 520
- CAS AH 521
- CAS AH 501 or AH 502, which is an internship in a museum or non-profit arts organization
- An elective chosen with the approval of the Director of Museum Studies. Options include:
- CAS AH 501 or AH 502, whichever not already taken
- CAS AH 524
- CAS AH 576
- GRS AH 804 (when 804 is a conservation seminar)
- Other courses, including those offered by other departments and Metropolitan College’s Arts Administration program, approved by the Director of Museum Studies
These courses may be taken either as part of, or in addition to, the courses required for the MA or the PhD. Students enrolled simultaneously in the MA and the certificate program may complete the course requirements for both programs by taking nine courses instead of the eight for the MA alone. This typically includes five required area courses, including two seminars, and four museum courses; however, such students may choose to take 10 courses.
With approval from the Director of Museum Studies, the curatorial seminar may occasionally double as an area distribution for the MA, but in this case, the total of nine required courses remains.
Prior to beginning an internship, students must complete the CAS AH 501/502 Internship Approval Form.
The department has close ties with the American & New England Studies Program and the Preservation Studies Program—both within BU—as well as ongoing internship placements at a range of institutions, including:
- Addison Gallery of American Art
- Boston Public Library
- Harvard University Art Museums
- Institute of Contemporary Art
- List Art Center at MIT
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Peabody-Essex Museum
- Phillips Academy
- Photography Resource Center
- Preservation Society of Newport County
- Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities