Degree Option–Engineering Practice
The College of Engineering offers a degree option, Engineering Practice, to any student enrolled in one of the College’s master’s programs. Engineering Practice is a valuable opportunity for a student at the master’s level to complete an approved internship integral to their program of study. This degree option allows a student to develop additional technical and professional skills.
Students interested in Engineering Practice must apply and meet the requirements outlined below. Students successfully completing Engineering Practice will earn the accompanying degree designation (e.g., Master of Science in Electrical Engineering with Engineering Practice).
Students may fulfill the requirement for this degree option by completing an approved internship. Internship choices must be relevant to the student’s program of study and must go through a department-level approval process. Satisfactory completion of the requirement is determined by the department and then formally received and recorded by the Graduate Programs office.
• Students may begin an internship after completing a minimum of 12 credits toward their program plan.
• International students must have completed two semesters in full-time status to be eligible to begin an internship in the United States, and they must complete additional paperwork with the BU International Students & Scholars office (ISSO) after registration.
• An internship site and project must be approved by the student’s faculty advisor.
Requirements and Grading
• Students may fulfill the Engineering Practice requirement by completing the approved internship.
• Each student interested in pursuing the degree option, Engineering Practice, must be in good academic standing with a GPA of 3.0 or above.
• Once the student identifies an internship opportunity, they must obtain the required approvals from their academic advisor and their department before being formally registered.
• International students completing an internship off campus must complete the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) form, and bring the approved Engineering Practice Approval Form and the CPT form to the ISSO for review and approval for off-campus curricular practical training.
• A mid-point review between the student and the internship supervisor must be conducted and submitted.
• Before the end of the semester in which the internship takes place, a report must be submitted and reviewed by the academic advisor.
• Students receive a grade of Pass or Fail. The final grade is based on satisfactory completion of all requirements and is determined by the academic advisor in consultation with the internship supervisor.
For additional information, contact the ENG Graduate Programs office.