BA in Music
The major in Music prepares students for graduate work in musicology, ethnomusicology, music theory, and composition, and for careers in composition and music theory, musicology and ethnomusicology, music and research, music teaching, music criticism, music librarianship, music publishing, arts management, and other broad areas of the music and arts industry.
- All courses for the music major are offered by the faculty of the School of Music at the College of Fine Arts (CFA).
- The minimum total of prerequisite and principal courses required for the major is the equivalent of eight 4-credit courses in the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS).
- Students must also take five courses (20 credits) in related areas, as described below.
- All of the CFA courses listed below may be taken for credit in the College of Arts & Sciences. However, any 3-credit CFA course must be supplemented by an additional project (to be determined by the instructor) if a student wishes to receive 4 credits for the course in the College of Arts & Sciences.
- No credit toward the completion of the music major will be given for the following courses:
- CAS MU 117
- CAS MU 118
- CAS MU 225
- CAS MU 229
- CAS MU 230
- CAS MU 242
- CFA MH 105
- CFA MH 106
- CFA MH 232
- CFA MH 341–344
- CFA MT 105
- CFA MT 106
- Students electing the music major may take up to 8 credits of applied music toward the degree. Eligibility is determined by audition and faculty availability.
- All music majors must complete CAS LF 212, CAS LG 212, or the equivalent in another language, or demonstrate equivalent proficiency. Students who intend to go on to graduate school in music are urged to prepare themselves in a second foreign language. Prior consultation with advisors is recommended.
- CFA MT 101 Music Theory 1 (3 cr)
- CFA MT 102 Music Theory 2 (3 cr)
- CFA MT 111 Ear-Training and Sight-Singing 1 (1 cr)
- CFA MT 112 Ear-Training and Sight-Singing 2 (1 cr)
Required courses in music history are:
- CFA MH 211 History & Literature of Music 1 (4 cr)
- CFA MH 212 History & Literature of Music 2 (4 cr)
- two courses chosen from CFA MH 421–428, or from MH 431–436
Required courses in music theory are:
- CFA MT 201 Music Theory 3 (3 cr)
- CFA MT 202 Music Theory 4 (3 cr)
- CFA MU 211 Ear-Training and Sight-Singing 3 (1 cr)
- CFA MU 212 Ear-Training and Sight-Singing 4 (1 cr)
- CFA MT 301 Music Theory 5 (2 cr)
- CFA MT 302 Music Theory 6 (2 cr)
Required Related Courses
Five courses are required from subjects including, but not limited to, the following: history (as approved by the advisor), history of art & architecture, philosophy; French and German above CAS LF 212 or CAS LG 212, or the equivalent in another language.